djw1cked

Hi question regarding remote viewing? any advice appreciated

Hi

I have the Wave-P DVR installed and am attempting to set up remote viewing.

I already have a EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) system in my store set up which allows remote access on the same network (incase I need technical assistance on that machine)!

Anyhow after numerous attempts I can't access the CCTV from outside the network.... so was wondering what steps I need to take to have them either both working or have the cctv over ride the EPOS system???

Thanks for any advice once again

My first thought would be to configure your router for port forwarding.

Set the router to send requests to a specific port to the DVR's IP address.

Some details your set-up would be helpful.

Cheers

Nathan.

Setting up port forwarding on your router is key as previously mentioned. There's a basic knowledge if TPC/IP and routers that's important in making this work.

First step is make sure your device has a static IP address set, or it will only work temporarily.

Then you go in your router and setup port forwarding for that IP address and typically port 80 to an outside port, like 8001.

Then you need to see what your real IP address is (not the one your router assigned you, or the the static one of your DVR). You can do this by going to a website like www.whatismyip.com.

This will work for a day or two until our ISP changes your IP address unless you are paying extra for a static IP. So you need to setup an account with a DDNS service like dyndns.com and set it up in your router if it supports this to update the outside IP address and map it to a domain name. This can be free, the account I have is free for what I use it for.

Feel free to ask questions, but the reality is, there are many different routers, they all program differently and I have no clue how set a static IP on your DVR, but I'm sure the manual will tell you. One thing I do with routers is get them on ebay with DD-WRT already installed, that way you'll know the feature you need are there. Many routers have over simplified software that makes setting up ddns and port forwarding difficult to impossible.