3RDIGLBL

For Those Experienced with NVR Mini - Feedback Needed

Hi All,

Looking at potentially integrating a number of these NVR Mini's at a customers. Problem I'm having and I guess just sort of learning cause I haven't had one of these in the office to test yet is the fact that there is no monitor, keyboard, mouse connection and the other fact there is only one ethernet port.

Configuration, viewing and review of video all has to be done remotely. My experience with searching and reviewing video remotely has not been very possitive on any system I've tried. I'm hesitant about going this route considering the system would be residing at a number of different sites and running over DSL.....ARGH! Just seems like this will be a big problem.

The other issue with the single ethernet port means all traffic will be going over the lan unless they keep the Mini on a lan of it's it's own but it defeats the need for remote access.

Not sure why the mini was designed like this but then again I'm not sure how much this really cripples it. What have any of your experiences been with this. Any other major downsides besides the bandwidth issues I've been reading in other posts of course.

Thanks

The LAN connection is not a problem it is a 10/100/1000 port. They are a great low cost low frame rate solution. I have a 8 channel system installed in a bar with a 4 channel Axis encoder and the customer uses his laptop to view the cameras remotely on a cable connection or he connects using the wireless network. It works perfect for his needs and gives him the ability to upgrade to MP cameras down the road. Would I have sold him this system if he needed 30FPS and 5MP cameras NO but for 4 B/W cameras recording at 6fps and the ability to add 4 1.3MP or 2MP for outside coverage it works great.

The nice thing about using one Mini is he doesn't need any client software he can just use the web interface which is very handy for him so he can hop one any computer and see his cameras. If you install more then one Mini and you want to see the cameras all in one interface you need to use the client software.

Edited by Guest

OH nice so they have support for an Axis encoder.

For me it was a bit of a surprise. I unknowingly priced out an 8 channel with a monitor and stuff, and stupid me not even digging deeper into the physical piece of the NVR just realized that it is not capable of connecting a monitor.

Looks like no DVD either just USB although that seems to be pretty common now anyhow.

OH nice so they have support for an Axis encoder.

For me it was a bit of a surprise. I unknowingly priced out an 8 channel with a monitor and stuff, and stupid me not even digging deeper into the physical piece of the NVR just realized that it is not capable of connecting a monitor.

Looks like no DVD either just USB although that seems to be pretty common now anyhow.

USB is only for a for UPS and maybe the POS intergation. Everything is done on a computer. The Mini is a headless system designed to sit in a closet somewhere and never be touched.

All the info is on there website.

I have an opportunity from one of my suppliers to purchase one at a discounted demo price so I think I'll take advantage of that just to try one out. It's not a huge discount off the normal but still enticing to give it a try.

I just have my reservations about a remote only system but I may be wrong and I'm sure it has it's place.

My company uses a ton of the March Networks 3108 systems and they are a Ethernet only system. No multiplexer, only a single spot out. Initial IP config is accomplished though RS232. They're great for sites that need to incorporate CCTV to their everyday desktops and no need for a dedicated server. It also helps to keep much needed space to a minimum while also keeping grubby paws of a fancy looking LCD monitor and keyboard. Our retail sites have a lot off part time help that are also be eager button pushers itchy to play.

My company uses a ton of the March Networks 3108 systems and they are a Ethernet only system. No multiplexer, only a single spot out. Initial IP config is accomplished though RS232. They're great for sites that need to incorporate CCTV to their everyday desktops and no need for a dedicated server. It also helps to keep much needed space to a minimum while also keeping grubby paws of a fancy looking LCD monitor and keyboard. Our retail sites have a lot off part time help that are also be eager button pushers itchy to play.

How many cameras per box and what is the MSRP of the March 3108? Analog, IP or both?

How many cameras per box and what is the MSRP of the March 3108? Analog, IP or both?

8 channels but only 60 FPS. They make higher but we don't buy. We only use 3 of the 8 so its OK. I believe MSRP is around $2k US. They support analog only. They are unique to say the least as they have integrated 24v AC and 12v DC for each camera. I would NOT suggest using the power for external housings with heaters/ blowers. We've had some issues with overloading the power supplies which is shared by the cameras/ mother board/ and hard drives. Handy, but can be a real pain in the &$$. There's not even a heat sink or fan for the transformer. Yikes!

The March Networks 3108 will support both IP and analog cameras. I think they will only support 4 Ip cameras in addition to the 8 analog cameras. The Ip support is limited to a number of camera vendors, and also is basically just a stream and store.