TJCCTV

Cat5e With Balun Testing

We always test prior to doing installs to make sure all equipment is operating perfect and reliably before doing the wiring.

Here's the Dumb Question of The Day:

Could you get a reasonably accurate test by connecting the camera and dvr to the Cat5e while all but the ends are still coiled in the box?

Or is there some other factor involved that would only come into play if the entire 1000' is stretched out?

Looking for a reliable test, prior to installing, of the cameras to the dvr, at a range of 1000'.

Plans are for Cat5e with passive/passive baluns (active receivers available if needed.

Thanks for any sincere answers / ideas.

Tim J.[/b]

If anything, I'd think having the cable spooled would have more of an adverse affect that it being strung out, as there would be a minimal amount of added inductance. In other words, if it works fine with the wire spooled, it should have no problem unspooled. The only other concern would be whether your cable runs pass close to other sources of EMI - motors, light ballasts, HV feeds, etc. But those sorts of things can cause problems with any cabling, and in my experience, twisted-pair with baluns often handles those situations better than standard coax.

We've done that test, with 1,000', 1,500' and 2,000' of CAT5e. The results were basically the same as with the cables run the equivalent lengths through conduit.

But those sorts of things can cause problems with any cabling, and in my experience, twisted-pair with baluns often handles those situations better than standard coax.

Suppose to run Cat5 cable at least 2 feet away from power sources while coax only requires 1 foot.

Alas, reality doesn't always allow us to do things as they're "supposed to be" done. And again, in my experience, straight wire (twisted pair or not) with baluns handle induced noise better than coax. Coax is designed to effectively shield itself from the noise... a balanced line basically just cancels it out.

Of course, if you want the best of both worlds, terminate your coax with baluns - baluns certainly don't require twisted-pair to work effectively.