Sorry for the newb question, but is it possible to remotely configure IP cameras? I'm considering some Arecont cameras (2155DN) and want to know if I can somehow remotely change the day-night settings without having to climb a 15 foot ladder to reach them!

Pretty much all IP cameras are remote-configurable through a web interface. Generally, no special software needed once they're properly connected to the network, although most also have utilities for centralized management and batch configuration.

As for climbing a ladder, most IP cameras don't have any on-camera adjustments anyway, other than the zoom/focus/iris on the lens itself.

right now I'm looking at using a Nuuo NVRMini, but I'm also considering a QNAP NVR-104P as well.

Thoughts on those choices?

Depending on your settings you could run into bandwidth issues with the Mini. The 4 channel can handle a maximum of 20MB total for all for cameras. Which you could easily exceed with the two 2MP Arecont cameras. I can't speak for the QNAP because have haven't used one, but the one thing I do know about the QNAP which I don't care for is for remote viewing you have to change the ports on your cameras and open each one up on your router. With the Mini you only have to open up 2 or 3 ports on your router for remote viewing.

right now I'm looking at using a Nuuo NVRMini, but I'm also considering a QNAP NVR-104P as well.

Thoughts on those choices?

Depending on your settings you could run into bandwidth issues with the Mini. The 4 channel can handle a maximum of 20MB total for all for cameras. Which you could easily exceed with the two 2MP Arecont cameras. I can't speak for the QNAP because have haven't used one, but the one thing I do know about the QNAP which I don't care for is for remote viewing you have to change the ports on your cameras and open each one up on your router. With the Mini you only have to open up 2 or 3 ports on your router for remote viewing.

I'm thinking of getting of the Nuuo Nvrmini as a machine for my house. I'm pretty new the IP cameras scene and not sure if it's a good buy. The Nuuo seems reasonable and supports a ton of manufactures. I'm just upgrading from these cheap chinese analog cameras I have to maybe a 1.3 MP camera setup with 4 to 6? From what I read, the bandwidth might be limited on how much it can process and record? If the Nuuo NVRmini isn't that great, what would you suggest for 4 to 6 camera setup with 1.3 MP cameras?

I just want to upgrade my current setup at the house from analog to the world of IP.

I'm doing the same thing - replacing my analog cams with IP.

Currently, I'm running Blue Iris 3 on an Intel I3 box, and it's holding up pretty well. The search function is not as good as some of the more professional software, but it's easy to use, inexpensive, no license fees, supports lots of cameras, and technical support is good (though there's no ONVIF support currently). I like it a lot for an inexpensive home system. The CPU load can be high on older machines, depending on the total MPs and frame rate.

I'm also running Milestone Xprotect Go (their free version) on another box, but it's a lot more of a pain to set up, and hasn't been as reliable in general (possibly because I'm not setting it up right). Search is much better, though. It also runs as a client/server system, rather than all-in-one like BI3. CPU loading is much lower because the client doesn't run on the NVR box.

One plus of using a generic PC or laptop is that you can easily upgrade to other NVR software if you decide it's worth it.

My system's a Core i3 540 3.07 GHz with on-chip video, 2 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, running on Win7 Embedded, with the following cameras:

2 x Vivotek IP8332 1MP

1 x Vivotek FD8134 1MP

1 x Messoa NCR870 2 MP

1 x Arecont AV5100M 5MP

1 x Arecont AV5105DN 5MP

2 x LTS Y-cam clones 0.3 MP

About 15 MP total

Running all of them, I run the CPU load pretty high - 80-90%-ish. Disabling one of the 5MP Areconts drops me back down to 60-70%, and I could run several 1-2 MP cams in place of each Arecont. This system would run your 6 1.3 MP cams with room to grow.

If you have a spare PC, you can run many NVRs in demo mode to try before you buy. The main thing is to check that the cams you want are supported.

I'm doing the same thing - replacing my analog cams with IP.

Currently, I'm running Blue Iris 3 on an Intel I3 box, and it's holding up pretty well. The search function is not as good as some of the more professional software, but it's easy to use, inexpensive, no license fees, supports lots of cameras, and technical support is good (though there's no ONVIF support currently). I like it a lot for an inexpensive home system. The CPU load can be high on older machines, depending on the total MPs and frame rate.

I'm also running Milestone Xprotect Go (their free version) on another box, but it's a lot more of a pain to set up, and hasn't been as reliable in general (possibly because I'm not setting it up right). Search is much better, though. It also runs as a client/server system, rather than all-in-one like BI3. CPU loading is much lower because the client doesn't run on the NVR box.

One plus of using a generic PC or laptop is that you can easily upgrade to other NVR software if you decide it's worth it.

My system's a Core i3 540 3.07 GHz with on-chip video, 2 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, running on Win7 Embedded, with the following cameras:

2 x Vivotek IP8332 1MP

1 x Vivotek FD8134 1MP

1 x Messoa NCR870 2 MP

1 x Arecont AV5100M 5MP

1 x Arecont AV5105DN 5MP

2 x LTS Y-cam clones 0.3 MP

About 15 MP total

Running all of them, I run the CPU load pretty high - 80-90%-ish. Disabling one of the 5MP Areconts drops me back down to 60-70%, and I could run several 1-2 MP cams in place of each Arecont. This system would run your 6 1.3 MP cams with room to grow.

If you have a spare PC, you can run many NVRs in demo mode to try before you buy. The main thing is to check that the cams you want are supported.

Thanks, I'm going to try out that Blue Iris 3 software. I have a spare i5 computer that I'm not using. How do you like the Vivotek cameras? I was thinking of getting the IP8332 for outdoor use and from what the forums say, it's the best bang for the buck for outdoor use. I see it around $350 and the pictures look pretty good at night with the IRs. Can you change the lens on that thing? I might want it to zoom a little closer than the 3.6mm but I wasn't sure if you can swap it out with something closer.

I like the Vivoteks a lot - they're the best overall performers of that motley assortment. Lots of people don't like them for whatever reasons, and support is supposed to be poor, but I haven't needed any. You'd have to spend a fair bit more to get better performance, I believe.

Daytime images are very nice, reliability has been great, they're some of the easiest to set up and configure (except the onboard recording, which is a pain), and they maintain their frame rates well with little image blur - multiple streams or clients don't slow them down, which isn't the case with a lot of cams. I also like that it's easy to switch to a single network cable if you don't need the alarm or power inputs - they have a standard RJ45 jack on the internal board and come with an extra seal for custom cabling. Of all my MP cams, I've had to fiddle with them the least, and they've been the most reliable.

Night images are not bad, but not great. After Buellwinkle's review of the 2MP version, I set mine to stay on color instead of switching to B&W, and the image quality is a bit better. The onboard IR is good, but has the standard drawbacks of non-intelligent IR - things wash out up close, and the auto exposure is slow to react. Some people have trouble with IR halos, but mine have been ok.

You can swap out the lens with other M12 thread board cam lenses, and these are available from really cheap to pretty expensive, so it's easy to test out an inexpensive one to see how you like it. Some have wider barrels than others, and the foam ring may not fit easily. The default lenses are good for the areas I cover, so I haven't had to change them.

The main problem I'm having is that I now want higher resolution, but none of the other cams I'm trying are working as well as the 1MP Vivoteks, and the higher performance 2+MP outdoor cams are a lot more expensive.