Robert Oaks

What monitor to use

After using pc based, GEO cards for the past 2 years, we are considering going to a stand alone system. We also have been using LCD monitors (one 15 inch, and one 19 inch) in each installation. I note that if we use the stand alone units, that we must use a cctv monitor, which in the LCD version is much more expensive, especially in the 19 or 20 inch size. I have read somewhere that there is a transistion box that will allow standard computer monitors to be used with the stand alone units. Can anyone advise me on this? Thank you very much. Robert

You can, but the quality of the image is terrible, we have used them before. Thats why I have been looking around for cheaper CCTV Designed LCD monitors, but so far they are all still v ery expensive.

No prob. That said, I have used this before and it was much better:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=711308&CatId=386

But still doesnt compare to the quality of a CCTV Monitor. Kalatel has a couple 500TVL LCD Monitors for CCTV that Id like to test out, down here it is difficult as they are so expensive, due to 45% Customs Duty. You may be able to find a GE kalatel Distributor in your area and just go in and ask to see what the quality looks like.

I have a friend though that saw their 20" Public View LCD, which comes with a built in Ultraview camera, for a Door Entrance in a Mall in Miami, and he said it looked very clear. But then his idea of clear is not always the same as mine.

Anyway, if you do get to test one out, please let us know. They claim they are much better than a PC LCD, but sometimes manufacturers can tell fibs

Provideo also have a couple, but the price is not much less than the GE Kalatel units, and the Provideo ones are probably more OEM than the GE. .

Rory

i get great images from my Video Insight system, (ProView 19") but, i'm not looking for (nor do my customers) studio quality images ONLY because it's not worth the money spent unless it has purpose. there are good and bad monitors, systems, camera's, and it is NOT always directly traceable to the "box" providing the feed. ie. lousy camera's + great system + great monitor = lousy picture. there are many "parts" that can cause poor pictures.

and i agree with Rory.......