Bishop

One Camera all OK, two cameras, both videos freeze

Hey Guys,

I recently installed a DVR card in a spare Compaq system and have three cameras so far. The software loaded great, the DVR card works perfectly. I can run all kinds of different setups.

My problem is that when I try to view two cameras at the same time, both video images freeze. I can get a single and Quad picture setup in the software, but if two camera setup is selected, the image is live for about three seconds, then they both freeze.

The computer system does not freeze, only the incomming live video images freeze. I can watch one camera at at time, regardless of the size of the incomming image, full screen or quad, and all is OK. but if I ask for two cameras at the same time, both video images freeze.

I have a Compaq 933mhz / 256 memory / 40 gig HD / and 32 meg Video Card. There is only minimum windows loaded on the computer and no other programs are running.

Help I like the system cameras around my house, but I can only watch one at a time.

Thanks

the PC seems like it may not be up to par.

Other than that, what PC Card is it??

In Quad mode you see the 3 cameras all at once no problems?

Rory

Hi,

One camera at a time works great! Each camera location sends great video, the problem is If I select to view more than one camera, say in a quad screen, all the cameras video images will freeze in three seconds.

If I go back and select one camera only, either Camera 1,2 or 3 and view only one camera at a time, the video is great even in quad screen as long as only one camera is selected.

The Video card than came with the Compaq has 32 meg. The system memory is 256, and the system is a 933 mhz.

The minimum system requirements said 500 mhz, 8 meg video and 128 ram. I'm running double the minimum. I expected at least two cameras running at the same time.

I have another Video card unused new in it's box. A Diamond Stealth III S540 pci card with 32meg. I was going to try that if all else fails. The video card now installed is a AGP Nvidia Riva tnt2 Pro 32 meg. Is one better than the other?

Thanks

First, alot of PC cards only can run on Intel, so check that part of it. I had that issue myself last week. At least the software, not always the card itself. A card is a card, you can use any capture software with almost any card, and its not that hard even to write your own software, if you are a developer.

Second, though they say the requirements, I think they go way under on that. Id definately look at a new video card, at least 64MB, even better if you can get a hold of a 128MB, they are like $40 in the US right now.

The processor seems like it may also be too slow. Though you can push that also by adding more memory. Basically, thing I would try, short of trying a different PC, is 512MB memory, and at least 64MB video card.

I had a PC actually with a card I got a while back, inherited it, and it was working in the clients PC. I had a 2.2Ghz Intel with 128MB DDR, and shared Video, set to 32MB so my main memory went down alot. Anyway, short story, card would cause BLUE screen straight through, or just freeze my display .. even though their mimimum was very low, like what you said there ...

So id definately try a faster video card, and also some more memory, if that doesnt work still, then unfortunatelty a new PC. You can get a good one for $300 now refurbished .. check out TigerDirect.com. Im using one of their refurbished Compaq/HPs now I got for like $250!! Athlon 2.4Ghz, 512DDR, 60GB HDD, and I put in a 128MB DDR Card.

Last thought, could be a driver issue, maybe reinstall everything, at least the drivers. Do you know what card it is?

Rory

hyperthread can cause video problems. disable it in the BIOS.

also, make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for your system. goto the web site of the manufactures and download the current.

Video Insight's PC based cards are designed to handle Hyperthreading and multiple processors with no problems. Check it out.