TVEngineer77

Outdoor housing - heating and blower needed in FL?

Just a quick question, I'm buying outdoor housings for some new Arecont cameras I'm purchasing, and I have the option for the heater/blower. Now I live in FL where it's plenty warm most of the time, so I wondered if the "blower" part actually works as a fan without heat when needed? If so do I really need this? Maybe there's something I don't know about like the potential for fog on the enclosure glass that this would eliminate?

The temps can get down to the 20's in certain times of the year so does that make me need this?

We often use heater housings here in Vancouver, but in reality, even the non-heated ones almost never have a problem as long as they're sealed.

I'm in central California, temps in the low 30's, and I've never needed to use them. I think in your case, the humidity levels might present a good case for leaving it sealed, and perhaps throwing in a silica gel packet, as well.

I'm in Orlando and have had housings outdoors for years. I find that bugs get into the housings with blowers, and allow humidity to enter as well. You just have to go with the heat buildup in the summer. The heat may make them fail sooner, but bugs inside a housing are more of a pain in my opinion.

I seal my units the best I can, I use RainX anti fog on the glass, inside and out, be sure to clean the glass first to remove manufacture grime. That helps keep it from fogging, I guess, as I've never had the problem. Be sure not to have white lights to near the camera locations that will attract more bugs.

in FL you should be fine w/o them. The camera itself will give off enough heat to handle the ocassional dip in the 20's Moisture and humidity is your main issue I bet. Best of luck!