cctvctrl

Suggestions for camera and cabling protection

Hi All

During the week I had to make some repairs to a system on a fishing trawler. I had to install two new cameras, one was on the open deck and one in the processing factory.

The camera on the open deck had a power problem and a new section of power cable was installed. The conductors of the old cable was black due to corrosion as was the RG59 screen (the customer did not want a new cable installed ).

My question is how does one protect these type of installations against the weather. Even if it is for a 6 month period. I thought of using a product called denso tape (petroleum jelly based cloth tape). I installed watertight boxes for the cable connections and sealed the entries with silicon, cable glands would have been better but could not find suitable glands in the time frame.

You should look into "seal tight" flexible conduit.

He's right on.It's also known as liquid tight.I've used it a bunch as an electrician.Box cam with proper enclosure,seal tight flexible conduit,connectors and all weatherproof junction boxes and you should be good to go.

Try using a dielectric grease in all your connections - this is often sold in auto-parts stores for use on battery terminals and in trailer wiring connections for prevent corrosion. Squeeze some inside the male BNC ends before you snap them on. In your case, it might not even hurt to force a bit into the ends of the coax before terminating - it doesn't have to protect the entire length, it just has to prevent the sea air from getting inside the jacket.

Might even be an idea to cut off any existing connectors and re-terminate them with the grease inside as well. Oh, and use compression-type weatherproof connectors if at all possible, and gel-filled crimps where necessary.

And yes, this is in addition to all the above steps: the boxes and conduit will keep the direct spray off of things; the grease and gel will keep the ambient salt air that's sure to leak through anyway, from working its way into the connections.

I also sing the praises of liquid tight, found in any home depot.

Use electrical tape and heatshrink tubing as a back up.

I always try to carry the brush on electrical tape, found in any Walmart in the tool section.

Good luck pal. I've yet to install on a trawler, but i know that salt spray is some corrosive stuff to metal and cabling.

Just my $.02

pyro

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oh, and use compression-type weatherproof connectors if at all possible, and gel-filled crimps where necessary.

Soundy could you possibly supply me with web references for the weatherproof connectors. Our suppliers (South Africa) supply the normal crimp connectors. I'm sure I will find them locally but if I have a manufacturer of the connectors my search will be so much shorter. Also when you say gel-filled, do you mean the grease that you mentioned in you post?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oh, and use compression-type weatherproof connectors if at all possible, and gel-filled crimps where necessary.

Soundy could you possibly supply me with web references for the weatherproof connectors.

I could give you dozens of links, but this is probably the easiest way: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=compression+bnc+connectors

Our suppliers (South Africa) supply the normal crimp connectors. I'm sure I will find them locally but if I have a manufacturer of the connectors my search will be so much shorter.

Hmm, GEM Electronics and ICM Corp. are two common ones that I use. Both make full lines of crimp-on and compression connectors, as well as baluns and other audio/video accessories.

You will need different crimpers for these types of connectors, but if you're doing a lot of outside work, especially around the ocean, it's probably worth it to get into the weathertight connectors... plus, I find compression types generally a lot quicker and easier to work with - no loose center pins or crimp rings to mess with, they're a single piece and attach very solidly.

ICM sells several nice kits that includes stripper, crimper, and an assortment of connectors, although I believe their crimpers will only work on their connectors... other manufacturers, like Paladin, make "universal" crimpers that can be adjusted to fit most connectors (I use this one, myself).

Also when you say gel-filled, do you mean the grease that you mentioned in you post?

You can jam grease into the crimps, or apply some to the wires before you crimp, but there are also crimps that are "pre-loaded" with a non-greasy gel intended for the same purpose: to keep air away from the connection and prevent corrosion and oxidation. We generally use this type (not an endorsement of this eBay seller, BTW, just an example of the connectors).

i would be surprised if the rg59 doesn't upset the signal.

silicone is a waste of time for sealing as it tends to crack and then lets water in. some of the non-silicone sealants are ok as they don't crack/crumble.

used to use some stuff called soft seal. no doubt its under various names. look to see what satellite/aerial installers use. its basically a thick soft Self-Amalgamating Tape.

but also don't under estimate the effectiveness of cheap stretchy insulation tape. (except UV eats it after many years)