bpzle

ISP Blocked Ports. Easier to remember domain?

It's no secret most ISPs block ports, regardless of if they will admit it on the phone. In my area port 80 was recently blocked and so my browser based remote client address is now a pain to type, remember, and explain to frequent guest users.

Another annoyance is with Internet Explorer. If you want to access a port other than the default of 80, you MUST type in "http://" first. I'm so tired of explaining what a "colon" and "forward slashes" are on the keyboard. LOL

Example:

I want to turn this:

http://dvr.dyndns.com:89

into this:

dvr.dyndns.com

and yet still redirect traffic to port 89 on my router.

Any ideas for a free and easy fix?

Also, I bought a domain name recently. Is there a free way to redirect

"mydomain.com" traffic to "http://dvr.dyndns.com:89"?

And I forgot to mention I don't have a host yet for my domain. So I need a free one of those too if I want to use it to redirect traffic to my dvr. lol

It's no secret most ISPs block ports, regardless of if they will admit it on the phone. In my area port 80 was recently blocked and so my browser based remote client address is now a pain to type, remember, and explain to frequent guest users.

Another annoyance is with Internet Explorer. If you want to access a port other than the default of 80, you MUST type in "http://" first. I'm so tired of explaining what a "colon" and "forward slashes" are on the keyboard. LOL

Example:

I want to turn this:

http://dvr.dyndns.com:89

into this:

dvr.dyndns.com

and yet still redirect traffic to port 89 on my router.

Any ideas for a free and easy fix?

Also, I bought a domain name recently. Is there a free way to redirect

"mydomain.com" traffic to "http://dvr.dyndns.com:89"?

Hi.

Am new to some of this stuff.

Thanks for posting all these threads.

Question: What is meant by the ISP blocking ports? and port 80 especially?

Isn't port 80 the most commonly used port?

if the ISP is blocking the port, how do you get through?

Sorry for simple question. I am familiarizing myself with port forwarding etc.

Thanks

Jeff

What they're talking about, at least in terms of blocking ports, is blocking INCOMING ports. Residential broadband providers frequently block incoming port 80 requests to prevent home users from running websites off their home cable or DSL connection (a violation of their Terms Of Service). In essence they prevent a remote browser from establishing a connection to any server you'd be running... or in this case, any camera that might be using port 80 for its built-in webserver.

There's a three-way handshake that's required to set up a TCP/IP connection to a server.

First handshake: the remote client (with the web browser) initiates the connection by sending a SYN-packet to the server... a request to the server to open a connection.

Second handshake: the server sends back a SYN-ACK packet to the browser.

Third handshake: the browser sends back an ACK packet to the server, and the connection is officially established.

The easy solution here is to use a different port, and forward it through your router (you are at least using a router, aren't you?) to the server inside. This way you avoid the port-80 blocking that residential ISPs have in place.

What they're talking about, at least in terms of blocking ports, is blocking INCOMING ports. Residential broadband providers frequently block incoming port 80 requests to prevent home users from running websites off their home cable or DSL connection (a violation of their Terms Of Service). In essence they prevent a remote browser from establishing a connection to any server you'd be running... or in this case, any camera that might be using port 80 for its built-in webserver.

There's a three-way handshake that's required to set up a TCP/IP connection to a server.

First handshake: the remote client (with the web browser) initiates the connection by sending a SYN-packet to the server... a request to the server to open a connection.

Second handshake: the server sends back a SYN-ACK packet to the browser.

Third handshake: the browser sends back an ACK packet to the server, and the connection is officially established.

The easy solution here is to use a different port, and forward it through your router (you are at least using a router, aren't you?) to the server inside. This way you avoid the port-80 blocking that residential ISPs have in place.

Ah.. thanks VERY much for the informative reply- this is the stuff I would like to understand in order to setup and troubleshoot connections.

Yes I'm usinr cable modem/ router.

I'm trying to connect to a single channel video server, which just converts 1 single analog cam. The server has an embedded web server (or is that a redundant statement?). I have the unit running now on my LAN- I connect with the server via Internet Explorer and the IP address I loaded into the unit. I see the image.. all is well... on the LAN.

I haven't been able to log in with a remote PC via web and IE.

I've tried several ports and port forwarding them: 80, 8080, 3777, 37777

I have used canyouseeme.org to check for blocked ports, and so far they all say 'error- I could not see your service on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

What does this mean?

Are the ports actually blocked?

How do I find an unblocked port?

Obviously some ports must be unblocked somewhere!

Any info is greatly appreciated.

THanks

Ah.. thanks VERY much for the informative reply- this is the stuff I would like to understand in order to setup and troubleshoot connections.

Yes I'm usinr cable modem/ router.

I'm trying to connect to a single channel video server, which just converts 1 single analog cam. The server has an embedded web server (or is that a redundant statement?). I have the unit running now on my LAN- I connect with the server via Internet Explorer and the IP address I loaded into the unit. I see the image.. all is well... on the LAN.

I haven't been able to log in with a remote PC via web and IE.

I've tried several ports and port forwarding them: 80, 8080, 3777, 37777

I have used canyouseeme.org to check for blocked ports, and so far they all say 'error- I could not see your service on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

What does this mean?

Are the ports actually blocked?

How do I find an unblocked port?

Obviously some ports must be unblocked somewhere!

Any info is greatly appreciated.

THanks

What I'd do is go into your router, and pick a high, random port number; 45000 or something like that (or pick your month and year of birth if you need something easy to remember... April of 1969 would become port 41969), and forward that port to port 80 at the specific IP address where your camera server resides.

What will happen is that you'll open your browser, and enter your IP address, followed by a colon, and that high port number. Your router should then forward that request to port 80 on your video server, and you're in business.

Also, it matters how you're testing this.

Many ISPs won't allow you to loopback to your home IP address (eg. you're on your LAN at home, and try to connect to your external IP address).

You may need to borrow your neighbor's wireless, or try connecting from work to see if the port-forwarding is functioning, otherwise connecting to your own external IP address from inside the LAN may fail.