markpow

Noise reduction

That's not noise... you have ghosts! OOooOooOoOOOOOooOoooo...

There are tons of noise-reduction utilities and plugins in the photographic world... I've used NeatImage with some pretty good success. Noise Ninja is another popular one. Most better photo-editing programs (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, etc.) have decent noise-reduction tools built-in.

There's a rather extensive listing and reviews of different packages here: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/digital-photography-software/noise-reduction-software/pls_5647crx.aspx

Image noise reduction is of no use and should be avoided at all costs, whenever using cctv grabs. The problem is that it only reduces and never gives any detail on the subject. Those are designed not for forensics, but for making technicaly poor looking pictures to look better. But _video_ noise redution can be used, and there is quite simple yet powerful free tool for this.

As I see by the time/date font and placement, that the DVR you use is a typical costumized korean-base-design (whatever it's brand name might be - Optiva VODVR or whatever) that saves VVF files.

Use Export-->AVI in the supplied player, with the most lossless codec possible (anything intraframe only, or just uncompressed)

Load it up in Virtual Dub software that you can get in www_virtualdub_org

(please substitute underscore with a dot)

Open up filters and [Add..] "temporal smoother" filter, slide it up to appropriate lavel (3/4 of full scale might be sufficient even for super dark night recordings, given a good, sensitive monochrome camera).

You can also add resize filter to correct aspect ratio and crop out the useful portion of captured frame.

Then select compression (mpeg4 or something) and save!

Works like a charm. Check it in this video example from me (actual bad guys in quite a dark environment without any IR projector):

www_dtech_lv/misc/20091026012404-CH9_avi

(please substitute underscore with a dot)

Note about VVF file playback/export tool that is supploed with the DVRs: it has a date overlay that cannot be disabled in export video and nasty bugs with audio export, that oftenly adds cracks and distorted noises in resulting exports. Check my websie in a few weeks, as I am gona post my fixed version of the player (that does not add date overlay) and my own made audio track lossless demultiplexer that does things perfectly.

I will also post many interesting videos with actual felons in operation, as soon as I update the site.

Perhaps this helps a little? Your image is not the best to test with.

Jpeg Artifact Removal in Paint Shop Pro:

Before:

112062_1.jpg

After:

112062_2.jpg

I'm curious... do you need something to clean up just past footage or future footage as well? If future image quality is a concern obviously a proactive approach, not reactive would be better. I.e., upgrading camera or possibly even adjusting the angle so that the internal IRs don't wash out objects near by.

There is a feature that will "clean up" even the worst video from any source. It's called "one button enhance".

Here's how it works:

The tech produces grainy video from a cell phone, and digitally zooms in - distorting the image beyond recognition. Then the guy behind him says "can you enhance that?". The tech pushes one button and... Voila! License plate from 300 yards away.

The only problem is that this feature is only available on CSI.