Arne73

Power supply selection question

I'm currently pricing out a 16 camera DVR for my home. I've narrowed the DVR to the Intellicam JS XLA 16 Channel H.264 DVR w/500GB HD. I've made some measurements of the areas I want to watch and plan to add cameras as I go along. I'm not planning on any PTZ units due to the cost per camera and the coverage I expect with 16 cameras.

From what I can see it looks like the majority of cameras out there are 12VDC.

I don't want to limit myself by selecting the wrong power supply.

Comments?

Most general run of the mill camera without a heater blower will take a 500ma supply. A 16 channel 12V 8amp supply which will provide you with the 500ma per channel. I've seen a lot of bullet cameras with IR take less than 500ma but I've also seen them taking upwards of an amp.

We obviously do not have much info from you because the selection of power supply all depends on what cameras you plan to use. A lot of cameras are dual voltage meaning that they will accept either 12VDC or 24VAC power.

Select your cameras, look at the specs for power requirements and select the appropriate supply or come back once you've looked up all your power requirements for each camera you want and someone could point you in the right direction once you provide us with more info.

We mostly use 12DVC cameras in our local installations. I always install a power supply with the most amperage per channel possible so to accommodate any IR cameras that may be used now or in the future. I personally like to install a PS with at least 1 amp per channel. As 3RDIGLBL points out, after selecting your cameras, just insure that EACH port on the supply will accommodate the cameras' power requirements. It is OK to exceed that requirement, i.e a camera that only needs 500mA and you install a PS that will provide 1 amp per port. Also with 12VDC cams you need to concern yourself with the distance between the PS and cam. Typical residential installations are not an issue as that distance is usually "short".

By the way, I like your DVR choice. It is the only DVR we install in our local market.

Good luck with your project.

I plan to locate the DVR in a secure location in the basement with the camera 12VDC power supply. I'm planning on using RG59 w/18-2 throughout the system. It's an easy pull from the basement to the attic via an 8" square void. Cameras will be mounted on the soffits. I don't anticipate a single run over 150'.

Is my cable choice OK without excessive loss of video or voltage drop?