theedudenator

Getting started with surveillance cameras - some tips?

I am looking at messing with a camera as a hobby.

Maybe catch some wildlife by the barn or home security.

An older model is fine

Wired is fine.

I guess if I could use Cat5 type wiring?

I have an extra PC so I can wire it direct to that.

Or I can run wiring from a hub.

I would like to be able to move the camera.

Work in low light.

Can use IR? if needed.

If youre going to hook the camera up directly to your PC, and want to use CAT5/6 cable, then you will want to go with an IP camera to make things easy.

Since you are new to cctv, here are some very "general" statements about IP cameras as a whole. They dont necessarily apply to *every* camera, but as a whole, these are good generalizations that may affect your decision when choosing a camera:

-IP cameras are usually more expensive than Analog cameras

-IP cameras usually have a much better picture than Analog cameras if there is plenty of lighting

-IP cameras usually dont perform as well in very low-light as most Analog box-cameras

So I should be looking at an Analog camera then?

I would prefer better low light capability.

And since this is a hobby thing, I would prefer to keep the cost down until I figure out what I really want/need.

So I should be looking at an Analog camera then?

Well, that is something that only you can answer. However, when choosing a system based just on the price of the cameras, you should also consider the 'total system cost'.

For example, if you were to buy a Mobotix M12 camera, it would be a more pricey camera than if you were to go with an Analog one, but if thats the only camera you need, you wouldnt really have to buy anything else, such as a DVR, because the camera stores the images locally on an SD card. You also wouldnt have to buy an enclosure with heater/blower, or a power supply because it uses power over ethernet (assuming your router is PoE capable).

If you were to buy an analog camera, you would def have to think about the extra things you would purchase. Also, hooking it up directly to your PC would not be nearly as easy as an IP camera would. And usually you would use a DVR for recording in that situation, which would be added cost.

Those are the type of variables that you should take into consideration.

I guess you first need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Do you want to record the footage, or just be able to watch it live

2) If you want to record the footage, how many days back would you like to be able to store.

3) Do you ever plan on adding more cameras?

4) what is your budget?

5) Do you want to be able to view the footage over the internet from a remote location?

6) Is it necessary to get facial recognition when looking back at recorded video, or is this just a fun system for watching wildlife and stuff?

IP cameras are going to take over the industry in the near future. Right now they are pricey and could use some improvements on low-light performance, but that is sure to change in the next 5 years. That said, they have amazing day-time images that get me excited every time I see them!

I did some reading and looks like an IP type camera would be better.

I want to view the video over the network.

And would like a notification when it senses motion.

Not sure about storage, maybe just when it kicks in?

I can deal with a wired version also.

With or without PoE

I want to view the video over the network.

And would like a notification when it senses motion.

You can do both of those with Analog cameras, too.

Not sure about storage, maybe just when it kicks in?

OK-- but you are just talking about the "when will the cameras record" part (i assume when you say "kicks in", you mean when motion is sensed? thats the easy part. you can set that up after everything is installed)... I was referring to "where" will they record to, and how long do you want to retain the footage for? (in otherwords, the size of your hard drive, and the quality/compression that it records in).

For example, will you get a DVR, NVR, camera that records to SD card, or just record straight to your computers HDD?

This is something that you should figure out before you start buying CCTV hardware.

You should weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each technology (IP vs Analog), and decide which is right for you. Price and image resolution are usually the two biggest players when comparing the two. Although, there are many other notable differences.

I would just store direct to a harddrive.

This shouldn't be an issue. I have decent harddrive space.

I also have a HD video camera I shoot a lot of footage with.

I would just store direct to a harddrive.

I'm assuming you mean direct to a HDD on your pc, as opposed to plugging in an external USB HDD to the camera?

If so, then yea, you'll want to go with an IP camera. You'll most likely also need some management software if it doesnt come with the camera.

There are a lot of nice IP cameras out there to choose from Just be prepared to spend some $ and not have great low-light performance with most of them.

If you want the night-time performance, I suggest buying a Day/Night camera with a decent lens, and adding an IR illuminator to the scene.