embedded_tom

remote viewing problem

I've got a cable modem wired to a WRT54G. A WET54G wireless bridge is cabled to the Intellicam DVR in my basement. There's no problem getting to it by browsing to its IP, either by the PC connected to the WRT54G or a laptop doing it wirelessly, or by using the viewing software that came with the DVR.

The problem is trying to connect using port-forwarding/DDNS (no-ip). I've found several things that I thought "just had to be the last bug", but it still doesn't work. I get a time-out if I try to access it from work. (It "appears" to work on the PC at home, but I was told that it was the router being smarter than I gave it credit for, and that it wasn't really going through no-ip.)

Any thoughts on what I can try? I was getting help from the distributor, but he seems to have gotten busy, gone on vacation, or gotten bored with helping me further. I will admit that I'm not networking savvy, but I thought it should be easier than this!

Thanks.

Tom

Are you using the browser, the remote software, or both when trying remotely? Does the software use port 80?

Many ISPs block incoming traffic on port 80, which would affect web-based viewing. If the remote software uses port 80, it would affect that as well. Other ports may also be blocked by your ISP.

Are you using the browser, the remote software, or both when trying remotely? Does the software use port 80?

Many ISPs block incoming traffic on port 80, which would affect web-based viewing. If the remote software uses port 80, it would affect that as well. Other ports may also be blocked by your ISP.

Bingo! I found yougetsignaldotcom and checked Port 80 and it's not responding. Went to OptimumOnline and searched their support section and they do block it.

But for a small upgrade to Optimum Boost, I can get it unblocked. Only $9.95 a month additional cost! Oh, wait... I don't have their digital phone package, so it's $14.95 extra.

Frakkin' cable companies!

Hi.

Most DVRs, and it looks like you can with yours, allow you to change the port to something other than eighty. Change it to 8051 and then just add a colon followed by 8051 right after the domain name to access your DVR.

You can do this for free.

-Craig

Hi.

Most DVRs, and it looks like you can with yours, allow you to change the port to something other than eighty. Change it to 8051 and then just add a colon followed by 8051 right after the domain name to access your DVR.

You can do this for free.

-Craig

Success! I actually used 81 instead and it works fine. Is there any reason to use 8051?

I also heard from the distributor, who sent a new firmware update, but I might hold off on that since it's working fine now.

Thanks for the help.

tom