ameba

Integration various cctv system without sdk

Hi all. I already lost 1 job because my client claimed that the other company can integrated various cctv systems without SDK and now my boss need me to get an information about this...is it possible? your rply are very appriciated.. thanks.

sounds to me like this is a question of integrate vs interconnect! If your talking integrating an IP camera with a VMS software... isn't that what ONVIF does for the IP world? http://www.onvif.org/ If the companies are following these standards, i can take that IP camera and connect it up to my VMS system without having to write a sw interface (using an SDK).

If they are talking about integrating access control and CCTV... they can do some integration using RS232 (like an ACS would talk to an analog matrix). This has been done for years. And if the VMS or DVR accepts ASCII data, we could even start recording, speed up frame rates, etc. based on the text that the access control system outputs.

Other than that, in order for software A to communicate with software B... you need to use the API (SDK). If not, you're doing basics interconnection via RS232, inputs and outputs or some other rudimentary means!

Like Joebo indicated (in a rather roundabout way), your question is pretty vague. "Integrate" how? What is the desired end result? What sort of systems are we talking about? Analog, IP, hybrid? Integrating IP cameras with MUX/VCR systems? Is this all on one site, or across multiple remote sites? Are you integrating viewing, recording, controls, management?

If your boss wants you to learn ALL of it overnight... good luck. Assimilating this much new knowledge is probably better done a bit at a time, as it's needed - take an individual client's needs and learn how to fill them first.

As far as the lost client... in my experience, there's a decent chance that your competitor's techs won't be able to cash the checks that their sales guys have been writing, and the whole project will fall on its face. If you can learn what you need to FOR THAT JOB SPECIFICALLY, you may be able to pick up the pieces later (be sure to tack an annoyance fee on the final invoice).

In the case of DVRs, in most cases if they have an activeX control that is all you need. But also in most cases they crash and are not stable. I would say good luck if you are going to work with more than one, outside of just slapping the activeX in a program, the connection, and walking away. Anything else besides that, unless you stick to just one or two DVRs, could be a nightmare. And if you want more low level access then you will typically need an API from the manufacturer and a whole other can of worms to go along with it.

But i doubt that type of integration is what you are talking about

^And on that note, an SDK ("Software Development Kit") won't do you a whole lot of good either, unless you're a coder... and you have the SDKs for ALL the systems you're trying to integrate. And hiring a coder to do that sort of custom work will probably cost you more than it would to simply replace all their disparate systems with matching, ready-to-itegrate systems.