pearlite TL

Can i please get some ideas on quality cameras for my home.

I certainly want a PC based system as I can set specific parameters via software for recording (ie. depending on motion in specific areas of a given field-of-view). Not to mention the flexibility of storage of a PC .... to RAID and/or add terabytes upon terabytes of storage. Then add in remote access (not that you cant remotely view cameras on a standard DVR setup), but also control cameras (PTZ), or even do it through GeoVisions iPhone/iTouch application ..... Yeah, I definitely want a PC based system

I'm definitely a fan of PC-based DVRs, but just to clear up a couple things: most standalone systems DO support fully configurable motion-sensing, masking, and so on, as well as varying levels of control over recording quality... and the vast majority so support remote access, with many of those allowing web-based remote viewing, PTZ control, and iPhone/Blackberry/Windows Mobile access and control. Consider that most standalones are customized PC hardware using en embedded OS (usually Linux or another Unix variant), and there's really no reason they can't do much of the same things as a "true" PC-based system.

As you note, the main benefit to a regular PC is the flexibility and expandability. Adding new drives is easy. Auxiliary software can be installed (like the "finder" utilities for IP cameras, or video editing software), meaning you don't need a separate PC or laptop for those things. ANd typically the interface is a lot friendlier and controllable by mouse, which many standalone units aren't.

most standalone systems DO support fully configurable motion-sensing, masking, and so on, as well as varying levels of control over recording quality...

Just to clarify, most 8-16 channels, most 4 channels dont. 4 channels are typically the brands budget DVR though hence less features.

that most standalones are customized PC hardware using en embedded OS (usually Linux or another Unix variant), and there's really no reason they can't do much of the same things as a "true" PC-based system

In most cases they are not PC hardware, normally its embedded hardware with slow CPUs and little onboard memory, if one looks inside them normally you will just find a small simple board with a few chips and not much else. With the basic OS they use, in many cases an RTOS, along with the embedded hardware, not much chance of them being able to do what a regular Windows PC can do. Ofcourse higher end units can do alot more and have better hardware.

you have covered up most of the area of your house.

but you should provide photographs of your home.

well, until and unless we see your photographs of your house till it is very much difficult to say for that.

after having 360 degree approach of your house, then any professional would comment upon that.