Wildcat1

Help With New ACTI install

All

I am about to setup an ACTI IP install and had some questions. A friend of mine is letting me borrow some of his cams to see if this will serve the purpose. I will be using Cisco and Netgear POE devices to power and had some questions:

Do I need a video server or if I use Acti cams can I just use their software on a high end PC ?

Should and can I place lens filters on these cams or not to protect from dust dirt etc ?

On 2 story building better to place under eaves high or at a more reachable level ?

I assume the cams can reach full 30FPS at D1 even though most of the literature just mentions the higher end resolutions ?

POE wise I am thinking of Cisco SRW2008P or Netgear FS726TP. I prefer the Cisco due to full GIG ports but wondered if anyone had any experience and reco's with either of these.

Thanks all, any other help or guidance is much appreciated

All

I am about to setup an ACTI IP install and had some questions. A friend of mine is letting me borrow some of his cams to see if this will serve the purpose. I will be using Cisco and Netgear POE devices to power and had some questions:

Do I need a video server or if I use Acti cams can I just use their software on a high end PC ?

Should and can I place lens filters on these cams or not to protect from dust dirt etc ?

On 2 story building better to place under eaves high or at a more reachable level ?

I assume the cams can reach full 30FPS at D1 even though most of the literature just mentions the higher end resolutions ?

POE wise I am thinking of Cisco SRW2008P or Netgear FS726TP. I prefer the Cisco due to full GIG ports but wondered if anyone had any experience and reco's with either of these.

Thanks all, any other help or guidance is much appreciated

You can use Acti's software if you have an all-Acti install.

I haven't used lens filters on any of my Acti cams.

You ideally want your cameras high enough that they can't be reached without a ladder, but not so high that all you see is the top of peoples' heads (unless you're really not concerned with face shots).

As for the PoE, I'm using a 24-port Cisco PoE switch in my rack at home, and it works like a charm. Recommended.

The factory ACTi rep I spoke with strongly recommended against using Netgear PoE's. Go with the Cisco.

What model of ACTi camera are you going to be installing?

Agreed. I have had no problems with ANY PoE switches and Acti cameras... and I've used Netgear, Trendnet, Cisco, etc.

As long as it follows the PoE spec, it should be fine.

What's Acti's beef with Netgear?

Here is the reply I received from the ACTi factory rep:

"We have had very good experience with D-Link and Cisco PoE switches. D-Link is more price competitive though. See if your preferred distributor carry D-Link or Cisco PoE switches. I’d stay away from Netgear PoE switches as I have heard several complaints from our customers about these not supplying enough power for each port."

I did follow that up with another question just to get a few more details and ended up convinced that Netgear was not the way to go. But hey! If it works for you then great.