jimski

remote view with cable modem

Was wondering i have dsl for remote view, had to set up dsl modem and ports for remote view ect...I want to switch to a cable modem which is more reliable.Does the cable modem have to be setup just like the dsl modem for remote view.?

That depends how your ISP has their Cable Modems setup. Down here it is straight through so no port forwarding needed. IF you have a router connected to the Cable modem then you will need to port forward that, but if it was already setup for the DSL, then you should not need to change any Port forwarding settings in the Router.

That depends how your ISP has their Cable Modems setup. Down here it is straight through so no port forwarding needed. IF you have a router connected to the Cable modem then you will need to port forward that, but if it was already setup for the DSL, then you should not need to change any Port forwarding settings in the Router.

Thanks for the reply,we have comcast cable around here i think it is straight thru.Just went thru the modem and there is no place to set up port forwarding.I am currently using a sb5101 surfboard cable modem which is pretty much standard around here.My remote location has dsl,which is very unreliable..

Just trying to gather info before i make the switch to cable modem.So just basically connect to the cable modem remotely using the ip adress of the remote machine and dont have to worry about it being firewalled in the cable modem?

There shouldnt be a firewall in the cable modem if its straight through. I think we use the same modems here as you do. The Cable Internet static IP and other info would be set in the DVR in this case, as nothing to forward through and no local network connected. I havent actually used Cable Internet without a router in maybe 10 years

The reason you had to set up port forwarding in the DSL modem is because it's actually a combination modem/router (I'm guessing it also has four LAN ports and wireless?). The SB5101 is *just* a modem; no router or firewall functionality.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you add a router to the cable modem setup... not just for the firewall, but because the NAT layer adds some "physical" security, effectively separating your local systems from the open internet.

The reason you had to set up port forwarding in the DSL modem is because it's actually a combination modem/router (I'm guessing it also has four LAN ports and wireless?). The SB5101 is *just* a modem; no router or firewall functionality.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you add a router to the cable modem setup... not just for the firewall, but because the NAT layer adds some "physical" security, effectively separating your local systems from the open internet.

Good point thanks

Just a quick suggestion. Check with Comcast in your area and make sure they don't block port 80 for non-business accounts (take their answer with a grain of salt). If so, you may need to set up another http port in your unit.

Just a quick suggestion. Check with Comcast in your area and make sure they don't block port 80 for non-business accounts (take their answer with a grain of salt). If so, you may need to set up another http port in your unit.

what is port 80 for?

Port 80 is a standard HTTP port, for webservers.

So if using a web browser and if your server is port 80 you dont need to add the port number after it, but if it is for example port 81, then you need to add that after the ip (eg. http://10.10.10.10:81)

Some ISPs block port 80, so in some cases one needs to change the port in the DVR and/or Router.

Many times we will use other ports instead of Port 80, for security reasons also.

Port 80 is a standard HTTP port, for webservers.

So if using a web browser and if your server is port 80 you dont need to add the port number after it, but if it is for example port 81, then you need to add that after the ip (eg. http://10.10.10.10:81)

Some ISPs block port 80, so in some cases one needs to change the port in the DVR and/or Router.

Many times we will use other ports instead of Port 80, for security reasons also.

Thanks for clearing that up