DannyStyle22

DS Control Point and Panasonic Cameras

Has anyone experienced extreme latency issues when using DS Control Point or Digital Sentry with Panasonic cameras? We use DS Control Point as our viewer software which is working perfectly. We have found the only way to get rid of the latency issues on the Panasonic cameras is to raise the FPS in DSAdmin up to 20-30FPS. The downfall is when raising the FPS that high it eats A LOT of memory.

Our current setup is:

3 x Pelco DSNVR321500

57 x Panasonic IP Cameras (The ones in question are the Panasonic WV-NW964)

3 x JVC IP cameras (Which have no latency issues)

2 x gig switches over a dedicated network

1 x KBD300A Pelco joystick for PTZ cameras

Please let me know if you need additonal information. Thanks.

Bueller... Bueller...

How about putting it this way, can anyone explain to me how you increase the max bit rate on an IP camera while keeping the recording FPS low?

Although I'm not really familiar with that piece of hardware/software, a couple of thoughts come to mind: How do you know that you don't have that latency in the JVC cameras, if they are fixed and not PTZ? Latency tends to be most noticeable in PTZ's, the only way you would notice latency in fixed cams is if you had a analog cam, or direct view, of the same area.

I'd check and see if there are separate viewing and recording rates selectable in the unit, a number of the NVR softwares I use support this, not sure about the Pelco, though.

What type of compression are you using, MPEG4 or MJPEG? That can have an effect, as well.

you might compare the stream output in a browser, at the same time as your client software, to see if it stems from the camera itself, or the software.

Also, I'd give Pelco's tech support a call about it, see if they have seen anything similar.

hardwired - Thank you for your response. To answer your questions

1. How do you know that you don't have that latency in the JVC cameras, if they are fixed and not PTZ? They are all PTZ's. The JVC cameras have zero latency when moving the cameras via the joystick where the Panasonics have 1-2 seconds of latency.

2. What type of compression are you using, MPEG4 or MJPEG? All the cameras are MPEG4. I've tried changing them over to MJPEG for testing purposes, but either the panasonics or dsadmin doesn't communicate properly because I loose video.

3. I've tried using the web browser software and it has the same latency issues. I've also hooked up directly to the camera and it still has the same issue.

4. Also, I'd give Pelco's tech support a call about it, see if they have seen anything similar. - I've spoke to them and to be honest they aren't very helpful.

What I've found that works is if I go into Panasonics viewer software and change the max bit rate up to unlimited it removes all the latency issues for about 10 seconds, then defaults back to the original settings. I'm assuming there is something in DSAdmin (DS Control Point) that makes the camera default back to the original settings, but I can't figure out what it is.