jets

Setting router QOS for optimal DVR connection?

Greetings:

For a network in a small business, which just has 1 work PC, I just installed a stand alone DVR.

normally I'd set up the router myself, however here the IT person set it up.

When remotely accessing the DVR, commands (i.e. activating cam images, searching recorded video, accessing configs, etc) seem to activate rather slowly.

The IT person says he set up router QOS to prioritize the DVR video.

I'm not familiar with setting QOS on a router, and have not b4 encountered the slow response time I'm encountering.

Also, remotely pressing the 'play' button for a searched recording yields no result.

Might these symptoms be related to QOS settings in the router?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

define "remote"? is this via the internet? or via the local area network?

either way, I don't trust ITs. they tend to be stingy hogs with bandwidth.

see if you make sure YOURSELF that the switch is set for 10/100 and he hasn't limited anything...

define "remote"? is this via the internet? or via the local area network?

either way, I don't trust ITs. they tend to be stingy hogs with bandwidth.

see if you make sure YOURSELF that the switch is set for 10/100 and he hasn't limited anything...

bpzle-thx 4 response

remote via internet.

This is what the IT guy wrote:

<>

This is the 1st time I have heard of this setting being configured for DVR stream. I googled QOS, and it mentions that QOS settings let certain packets through first while holding up other packets. To me, this sounds like it may cause control data (button pushes) to be held up or lost. But I am not a network guru.

I'm experiencing very long wait times for system responses, and I can't get recorded video to play atall.. the 1st frame displays, but presssing the play button yields no response.

Any ideas?

Of course I could have a defective machine.

Will try to verify router config via IT person.. I don't have access to their router.

Thx

Jeff

what is the upload/ download speed from their ISP? what type of service do they have? dsl, T1, cable...

what else is the internet used for at that site?

what type of internet and speed is on the remote client?

try connecting to the DVR on the LAN locally and see if you have the same problems. I bet its bottle necking at the ISP...

what is the upload/ download speed from their ISP? what type of service do they have? dsl, T1, cable...

what else is the internet used for at that site?

what type of internet and speed is on the remote client?

try connecting to the DVR on the LAN locally and see if you have the same problems. I bet its bottle necking at the ISP...

Greetings again:

I don't have data here for the site's speeds.

At my 'remote' home here, 'speedtest' results are Download: 22.17Mb/s & Upload 1.04Mb/s.

I can access other sites fine from here . Same DVR model.

Site service is via Verizon Fios with Actiontec/ Verizon FiOS router.

Internet is used for transmitting business #'s at various points in the day. Occasional web-surfing .It's a haircutting establishment w/ about 5-6 employees. PC is at reception counter.

Attemp to accessing recorded video has occurred after biz hours. There's not a bunch of network traffic (in that shop, anyway)

Once cam images fire up, all 6 display ok.. D1 @ 6FPS.. nothing huge.

Playback worked with cross connection cable at DVR. Will need to test again inside network with browser.

Hmmm... I still think the issue is with the site's upload speed. You also double check that ALL ports associated with the DVR are properly forwarded and none are blocked by the ISP. You can test this by going to CanYouSeeMe.org within the network and testing each port.

Some devices use different ports for video, control, web client, remote client, ect.

I guess it could also be some goofy firewall setting on their router... You might try having the IT setup the DVR's IP for DMZ just to see if that helps. He probably won't want to, but it may answer some questions if setup that way temporarily.

Also, how are you connecting to the DVR at your house? Via Internet Explorer or a a viewing client program?

Is there any way you can have their IT guy disable QoS in the router to test its effect. I think once he's done that you won't have your latency issues with the DVR.

Usually QoS is used when bandwidth is limited to allow resources to share more efficiently.

There may also be an issue with the other PC on the network. It may have programs running which are loading it down. Is it shut off at the end of the day when you've tried accessing the DVR?

Figure it out yet?

Turns out that there was a firmware glitch that prevented remote playback, and the supplier apparently knew about it, and never issued a notice about it. They sent me a firmware upgrade and that has solved the remote non-playback problem.

However, the system is a bit slow. A 'friend of the family' is their system admin, and he 'works for the gov't' so whatever he says, goes. He wants the QOS set.. so be it. They are happy now that they can playback video.

I am having a hard time imagining how/ why a DVR supplier would know about a firmware glitch concerning such a salient feature of the DVR as remote recorded video playback, and sell the unit and never say anything about it until a complaint arrived. When I spoke to the tech on the phone, he acknowledged that it was a known issue and sent me the firmware upgrade

Auuugggghhh!

(maybe HE could go work for the gov't)

Sorry bud. Been there done that. No fun. What was the make/model of the dvr? I'm sure others will run into this...

I should state that the unit has a lot of features and the one's that I've put in the field have been operating happily. For the price, the unit has more inclusive and flexible feature set than most: dual stream, FTP backup, etc.

The unit is Intellicam G4-XLA series.

The firmware upgrade they sent, which I uploaded, is in 'test' mode, and is dated 12-25-09.