Tisko

Building Camera Specs for bids

I work for a major university whose housing is growing at a very fast pace. We want to network all of our cameras into one system, Milestone. (This is a standard set by our own Police force.) Our newest building will be built with Milestone and Axis IP Cameras already installed. However we need to redo our largest building. The wires have already been ran, and now we have to put together some specs for cameras to replace the old analogs. Working for a state means that I cannot just choose the cameras that I want unless there is a specific state contract, and in this case there is not.

I am not new to the surveillance camera world, but when it comes to IP cameras this is a new adventure for me. Besides one Axis PTZ camera we have actually broadcast to the web to show off our new green roof my experience is nil as far as IP cameras go. I want to use Axis cameras for the most part to keep with the standard also set by the police, but I cannot specify a specific product. I can however build specs to point purchasing in directions where it can only be a few specific cameras. I am wondering about a few brands that I have not dealt with in the past. I purchased a couple of Axis and Arecont cameras over the last few months to test out. While the Areconts image quality was great there are some quality control, configuration and security issues that I found with the few that I bought. I do not want to be stuck with 100 cameras of a different company with similar issues.

The only limitation that I have for this project is that all need to use H.264 for bandwidth and storage issues, and I do need about 40 of the hundred cameras that I need to be High Resolution quality be it Axis's HD cameras or anyone else's megapixel cameras (1.3 is fine).

Pelco IP Camera (I used their analog cameras for years and years and had no problems) Any known problems or issues on the IP side of things?

Sony - the one analog camera that I had from them was prone to overheating, any opinions on their IP Cameras?

Lumenera - never used them in the past

Panasonic - had some of their analogs in the past and there was never an issue.

Vivotek - never used them

ACTi - never used them either

Any other companies that I should be looking into?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

We use primarily IQEye cameras, rarely a problem with them, and their support is really responsive where there are issues. Beyond that, I've also used Hikvision and Arecont, and find the IQs WAY WAY easier to set up and work with than either of them. They also get along a lot better with the Vigil N/DVRs we use.

It's not clear if you want only SOME of these cameras to be megapixel and others lower (D1/VGA) resolutions - IQ does not, AFAIK, make anything less than megapixel, although you can configure the cameras to send lower resolutions or crop the image internally.

Anyway, would definitely recommend giving IQ a look - www.iqeye.com

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions here, but here's a few of my picks.

Panasonic- If price isn't your top consideration, the new NP/NW502 series cams are outstanding. CCD imager for lower light capability, 1.3 MP in H.264, 3.0 MP in MJPEG, foolproof design for weatherproofing, easy installation.

Acti- I use quite a bit of it, good price point, decent performance, good reliability. Acti is trying to position themselves as the Honda of the IP camera market, and seem to be succeeding.

Pelco- used some of their first generation IP product, less than impressive. Seem to be having a lot of quality control and supply issues recently.

Vivotek- I have had serious reliability issues with them, although it's been a while, their new stuff could be better?

BTW, the newest Milestone drivers for Arecont use Arecont's SDK plug-in, rather than their own driver, seems to have helped some problems. Arecont has been decent for us, not as reliable as some, but getting better. I would try to use Auto-Iris models if possible, Fujinon and Tamron are finally coming out with decent Auto-Iris lenses for megapixel, and you really need it for low light on a CMOS imager.

Stardot- Haven't tried it yet, well reviewed, could be a competitive replacement for Arecont for us. Planning on trying some soon.

Sanyo- Used the VCC-HD4000, working very well, the built-in zoom lens and autofocus is a great feature, planning on trying their new PTZ's soon.

Thanks. I know the Arecont that I used did not have an auto iris.

I am looking at some Samsung Techwin anyone have any opinions on their products. Their higher quality cameras do not offer H.264 which is a problem but for some of our low traffic areas the lower end specs will work for me. Looks like they are releasing a H.264 2 MP camera in Q3 of this year though.

What about single port H.264 video encoders? I really can't find after just a cursory glance anyone that makes them besides Axis.

What about single port H.264 video encoders? I really can't find after just a cursory glance anyone that makes them besides Axis.

Acti has the ACD-2500 that does H.264, MPEG4, and MJPEG. Dual stream, too.

If you go to Milestone's compatibility list, and select encoders, and H.264 for protocol, at the top, you will see a number of others, as well.

Are you using Milestone Enterprise, or Corporate?

I work for a major university whose housing is growing at a very fast pace. We want to network all of our cameras into one system, Milestone. (This is a standard set by our own Police force.) Our newest building will be built with Milestone and Axis IP Cameras already installed. However we need to redo our largest building. The wires have already been ran, and now we have to put together some specs for cameras to replace the old analogs. Working for a state means that I cannot just choose the cameras that I want unless there is a specific state contract, and in this case there is not.

I am not new to the surveillance camera world, but when it comes to IP cameras this is a new adventure for me. Besides one Axis PTZ camera we have actually broadcast to the web to show off our new green roof my experience is nil as far as IP cameras go. I want to use Axis cameras for the most part to keep with the standard also set by the police, but I cannot specify a specific product. I can however build specs to point purchasing in directions where it can only be a few specific cameras. I am wondering about a few brands that I have not dealt with in the past. I purchased a couple of Axis and Arecont cameras over the last few months to test out. While the Areconts image quality was great there are some quality control, configuration and security issues that I found with the few that I bought. I do not want to be stuck with 100 cameras of a different company with similar issues.

The only limitation that I have for this project is that all need to use H.264 for bandwidth and storage issues, and I do need about 40 of the hundred cameras that I need to be High Resolution quality be it Axis's HD cameras or anyone else's megapixel cameras (1.3 is fine).

Pelco IP Camera (I used their analog cameras for years and years and had no problems) Any known problems or issues on the IP side of things?

Sony - the one analog camera that I had from them was prone to overheating, any opinions on their IP Cameras?

Lumenera - never used them in the past

Panasonic - had some of their analogs in the past and there was never an issue.

Vivotek - never used them

ACTi - never used them either

Any other companies that I should be looking into?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Just had an extended play with the new external Sony HD PTZ dome.

The new range has some new image enhancement facilities which work very well in real life situations.

So much so we are looking at using the single channel encoder (with the same functionality) as an analogue video replay enhancement tool in replay suites.

Well worth a look.

Ilkie

I dont think we are going to use any PTZ's honestly. Though thanks for the advice.