bike_rider

Time for a new computer

My GV system is acting very weird after 3 solid years. I've had the PC video blank out or get corrupted (while the machine responded well to remote commands), failure to boot, hard lock ups and now corruption in the recorded video (smearing, blocks of odd colors etc). The software is unchanged for at least 18 months, so I'm thinking the hardware is going bad.

I do not want to deal with swapping parts until I find the problem (RAM? Video card? MB?) and I don't want to build a machine from parts.

I'm thinking about something like this Fujitsu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859115001&cm_re=fujitsu-_-59-115-001-_-Product

Main

Brand Fujitsu

Series PRIMERGY TX100 S1

Model VFY:T1001SX010IN

Processor

CPU Type 1x Intel Pentium Processor E5200, 2.5GHz, 2MB 800

Mainboard

Chipset Intel 3200

Memory

Installed Memory Size 1GB

Memory Type DDR2 800

$400.

I'll just carry over the existing hard drives.

thoughts?

Just a thought on the existing system: is it using onboard video with shared RAM? If so, it really sounds like the RAM is going. You can test it for free with MEMTEST86+ (www.memtest.org)

Try just a new video card then. Shouldn't be hard to find a "spare" card to test in it.

Yeah, that's next on my quick trouble shooting. Beyond that, I just don't feel like doing anymore troubleshooting. Since I don't do hands on IT anymore, I don't have access to a pool of testers from work. And, wouldn't you know, I tossed (properly disposed of) my old, old, PC last month. Oh well. I wonder what Amazon can sell me cheap.

thoughts?

Hope you don't carry your problems over to the new computer. With the hard lockups and corruption, you may have a problem with your drive. Have you tried running chkdsk on it or some other hard drive diagnostics?

thoughts?

Hope you don't carry your problems over to the new computer. With the hard lockups and corruption, you may have a problem with your drive. Have you tried running chkdsk on it or some other hard drive diagnostics?

Thanks. Yes both drives have been run through their paces. OTOH, if the new machine locks, I'll know what caused it.