Cougar281

CX25853 compatable Software

I got a CX25853 based PCI-e card off ebay, and it came with the WAPA software. The card its self seems to be decent, but the software kinda stinks. It has all the features I'd need (except for a built in SMTP engine for e-mail alerts), but it's unstable. "Encode.exe" keeps crashing, at which point the PC must be restarted to get it working again. The card seems to be a decent build quality, and the Conexant chips don't seem to be too horrible. I'm sure some will say I should forget the "Cheap ebay stuff", but I can't afford the "really good" stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to get all top-shelf parts for an NSA grade DVR system, but I'm not doing it for a living or for a business and as such, can't. Working with the hardware I have, do I have any software options other than what came with it (free or pay, Windows or *nix)? The CX25853 seems to be a pretty new chip, so I can see if there just may not be anything else for it yet. I've looked for a few demos such as the Exacq software, but I haven't found any on their page, just a "secured" download of what I assume is the full version.

Thanks for any input.

I had an issue with the software crashing and found out Windows Defender was the cause of it. You need to remove it if it is on your system. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks for the tip, but the system is as plain as they come. No AV, no Defender. Just Windows, required drivers and the DVR App. The only other thing on there is logmein so I can access the PC if needed.... It installs a "video driver" of some kind. I wonder if that's messing with it? I'm going to yank that and see what happens. If it still has problems after uninstalling it, I'll reload the box.

Well, No dice. Actually got an e-mail back from someone at wave-p and they suggested trying XP SP2 and/or Windows 7. Tried both and same result.

Felt one of the chips and thought maybe they where getting hot (measured at about 115 F) causing it to crash so I rigged up a fan to blow on them keeping them below 90 F but it still crashes. Any other ideas?

As far as using other software you would need to be able to profile the card to the generic BTwincap drivers , then you could use BlueIris, H264Webcam, LuxRiot etc. I've had cards that just don't probe using BTspy to see what settings would make it fly generically.

As far as encode.exe causing it to crash...are you trying to include a still image along with the email? Disable that feature.

Are you running Outlook Express as your email client? It will look for that or full blown Office mail client. Go into IE--Tools--internet options--tab to Programs. What is your default email client? set it to Outlook Express.

I had an issue with the software crashing and found out Windows Defender was the cause of it. You need to remove it if it is on your system. Hope this helps.

Kevin

This may be due to either a bug or the fact that the ports may be similar. I would suggest using another program like McAffee, Norton, or even one S&D which I believe can do the same job.