SRC666

Camera install on Vinyl Siding

I have the core of my system set up, but I need to install a couple of external cameras on the vinyl siding. I'm good with interior work, but have never worked with siding before, and don't want to butcher things.

I've looked for ideas, but haven't seen anything yet other than soffit installs. I need a solution for putting a dome or bullet camera on the siding itself. Are there any tips or techniques that you can share on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've done a few. What's underneath the siding? A lot of older houses that have vinyl siding have wood or brick underneath. If it's wood, you can just use long screws to anchor the camera. If it's masonry of some sort, you'll need some anchors and screws.

As far as hiding the cable, usually you can just lift up a flap of the siding and run the cable horizontally until you can find a good entry point into the attic and/ or house.

The house is only 6 years old, so it's just OSB sheathing underneath. I won't have any trouble routing the cables, since most of the places I want to put a camera are exterior walls of the garage. I'll be able to pop the cable straight through behind the camera location if I want, or route it down to the foundation and put it through near the band-board if I want the inside to stay neat.

My main concern is getting a good solid mount for the camera, while keeping the siding weather tight. I'm not sure if I need to put a box in for a mounting point, or if there is a bracket or block of some sort I can mount directly to the sheathing, then trim out/flash the siding around it.

What's the correct way to handle this?

There's nothing that I'm aware of specifically designed for attaching cameras to vinyl siding.

I would put a wood block or small piece of plywood behind the siding to fill in the gap between the siding and OSB. This will act as a washer or a riser of sorts and add some stability behind the siding. Use long wood screws or lag bolts to attach that to the OSB. Then flush mount the camera to the front of the siding.

Use lots of clear silicone around screw holes/ wire entry points.

Don't make the wire taught and go straight into the building.

It's always a good idea to make a "J" shaped rain loop with the wire to make gravity force the rain to drip at the bottom of that loop instead of into the structure.

Does that make sense?

Of course the whole rain loop thing only applies for bullet/ box cams. If your using a dome camera and mounting it to a verticle wall, the wire shouldn't be exposed. In this case, just use clear silicone to seal around the top and sides of the camera. Don't seal the bottom as that would potentially trap water behind the camera.

OK, thanks for the advice. That matches my initial thoughts on the install, but I also started thinking about the aesthetics, and how the light fixtures are on special pieces, and thought I might want to try to replicate that. I just wasn't sure what the "standard" practice was for cameras.

edit: OK, so I was being a moron, or my Google juju was running low. I finally found the correct set of keywords to find the item I was thinking of: Vinyl Siding Surface Block. Exactly what I was hoping to find.

I hope this helps someone else down the road. Thanks again for your tips!

Hi,

You might find some nice mounts for your camera's or light fixtures at http://www.aifittings.com/ they are a company which sells all types of electrical fittings. They make very inexpensive siding blocks and mounts for outlets, fixtures and such.

hope this helps