VST_Man

RouterBoard 450G

anyonwe out there have experience with it? I need some counseling..nonalcholic type

have some free time to play & learn a deeper level of networking so I got one and I am starting to learn it .........

been all over the MTforum and watched the video's.

stuck on adding a static to eth1 WAN link. almost "there".....

thanks

I seen your stuff also...........just another furum to piss off my Honey

I'm swapping out a Dlink with the 450G so I can learn some of the more technical things of networking. I can get it going in the client dhcp with my ISP BUT I can't get a static to work. My static allows more bandwidth.........client dhcp pulls a different ip with a lower speed.

I get all the correct info into the 450 but when I try to log onto google or any outside link(s) it won't. but if I add a dhcp client.....wham, it works. I've put in the right "stuff" for the DNS, NAT, still no joy with my static IP

when exactly, or where exactly, does the static IP address get entered? My Static is just that...static, no user name, password, ect. I add a IP address with my static info on ether1 and the local dhcp onto ether2345 (brigded) and then add the DNS & NAT.

I can see my providers RouterBoards....and can ping them.....so I think my prob is actually routing?

anywho, send me a email and I'll send you the snapshots and/or the dump. but, if you can imagine a simple WAN static on ether1 with a dhcp local on ether 2345......using a 192.168.1.0/24, the setup should be fairly defaulted.....

Kerry

I'll check out that book.thanks

" title="Applause" /> I got it working............learning curve was fun. Now I have to work out the port forwarding and blocking and bandwidth management, ect.

Yes, I am and have been into ptp & mptp. Playing with Ubiquiti & Engenius. Again, another learning curve but the wireless is easier for me because of my background than the networking. I have a small WISP here on the ranch in Idaho that I use to test all................my farmer neighbors think I am crazy

Hay, what's up with Networking type anyway? Bunch of odd balls if ya ask me. They live in a world that they control via a router and anyone who wants to learn is basically SOL unless you know someone. I like to help others out whenever but those types are very thin skined and secret smelling..........

That's why I always loved the Marines. They instruct all to fight hand-to-hand and shoot straight. Because in the end, with out power cords...I can kick your ass

I feel better........

Did you add a NAT entry (srcnat) with the interfaces in and out, to get it going? Or was it something else?

Seen you on the other forums, too.. Sharing knowledge is good!

And yes, I've had fun with the IT guys too... Just take them out into the sunlight, I think they might have a vitamin D deficiency

I think my initial method of entering the ISP info & LAN structure caused me some pain.....

The wrong way; load the default router settings and then change them to your config.

Right way; start with a clean router and add your config as required. check the entries and functionality along the way.

When I tried the wrong way I had issues with the changes I made not actually sticking. ie. I changed the LAN side from the default 192.168.88.1/24 to mine 192.168.1.1/24, changed the dhcp server & pool. after I did that I still kept getting a 88.1 ip address......despite the setting on eth2 were 1.1. So, I did a system reset from the terminal and thn added the info. And, the route 0.0.0.0/0 over to my ISP gateway was also needed..and wham it worked.

NAT entry (srcnat)? I added that aso with default entries. Also added and got the port forwarding working over to my video server. have to get MajicJack running next.

Bandwidth management and other things to come.

RouterBoard in general is pretty decent. The different between that and basic routers is the RouterBoard opens doors to management of the entire link(s). Just have to learn the "lingo" and where it goes. Oddest part for me was the simple "Static IP" settings. The RouterBoard has every imaginable ISP IP address "link" that leads to specific required entires which eventually conf's the router for use under those conditions, but, you'd think they would have a "Static IP" link that opens into a box where you put your stuff. BUT, I know know if you assign a IP address to a port.......that's STATIC in their world. And of course you have to add the route, dns, and then srcnat...........and THEN you have a STATIC setup. Dang, if I had a dynamic or other type crappy connection I'd get all that filled in for me with a click....

Mikrotic's support is ok, in that the forum is "over brained" with IT types that really don't care about us small brained types. the forum actually has the moderators approving/filtering your content BEFORE it actually is posted. How unamerican is that? oh, that's right, they make these things in Russia....duh! I got some help on the forum from 1 person but it took my posts 2-3 days to get approved so if I had to get an answer fast......I suppose I could call my Mother.she knows everything

I also have "Dude" up and running which is pretty cool.........I like pics!

I am also using the Ubiquiti radio's. Nic echeap gear that works. Have a few links out to neighbors houses with cams attached for fun......have had no problems outside learning what radio to use when with what antenna and ect. Ubiquiti's forum is also fairly good........no opression yet

and ubiquit has one called AirControl........works also.

I need to find out how to connect to my Ubiquiti radios' using RouterOS/450G Since they are not a installed "board" I'm wondering how I go about getting them configured into the RouterOS.

Dude install easy......has the same like RouterOS interface so you'll be able to "doit"

ok, looking forward to learning & helping.

oh, that spam thing.....I don't buy it. They have a antispam built into the website when you create a user..........they are just a bit perinoid.

now you'll be in your office all weekend

my 450g is smooth. still have to learn more and the weather here will help me stay inside this weekend.wind and snow on the way.

if ya need any help......I'll try to pass what I know....

seeya