drprm1

Video distribution picture quality

Previous system, residential,four cameras, Nuvico stand alone DVR. Output from DVR fed to modulator which is fed through a video distribution panel (consisting of appropriate video amplifiers, low pass filters and attenuators) I don't have my original schematic anymore but for the last four years it has worked perfectly with a crystal clear picture on any TV in my house.

So my DVR's hard drive quit so I put a PCI-based card in a computer to take over. I messed with it for a couple of months and wasn't real happy. (it kept crashing the computer)

Next bought a new stand alone DVR (el cheapo) that seems to work just fine except for one issue. It has two outputs:

one VGA and one BNC.

The VGA output works perfectly to a monitor I have nearby and the BNC output works fine when hooked up to the monitor. FINALLY TO MY PROBLEM... when I hook the output from the BNC out to my modulator, which goes on out to the video distribution. The picture is very washed out when viewed on remote TV's. Almost like the output power is too low.

Would the output power be that much different from one DVR to the next?

Tried an in-line amp between the output and the modualtor. No change.

Thanks for the help!

Wanted to add that the distributed video from the PCI-card DVR was fine. This has to be in the output from the new DVR. Im using a BNC to RCA adapter with an RCA ended patch cord to the modulator.

See if the DVR has a switch or software setting for "termination" on the BNC output - options would likely be "75Ω" and/or "Hi-Z".