WarrenM

CBN high vs low res at night question

Hello all, I'm getting my feet wet with a new Avermedia 1304net and I bought two bullet cameras. I thought I would buy one high res and one low res so I could see the how they compared. The Hig res CNB-B1760N-4.3 looks better in the day then the low res CNB-B1750N-4.3 BUT the Low res stays in color longer when the sun is going down, picks up ambient light better, and starts looking better then the high res in low light. When it gets dark the Low res actually picks up the IR better and looks brighter and appears to have less "noise" then the High res. Is this normal? Would a 6mm High res look better?

Thanks for any insight as I am still reading and learning.

Hello all, I'm getting my feet wet with a new Avermedia 1304net and I bought two bullet cameras. I thought I would buy one high res and one low res so I could see the how they compared. The Hig res CNB-B1760N-4.3 looks better in the day then the low res CNB-B1750N-4.3 BUT the Low res stays in color longer when the sun is going down, picks up ambient light better, and starts looking better then the high res in low light. When it gets dark the Low res actually picks up the IR better and looks brighter and appears to have less "noise" then the High res. Is this normal? Would a 6mm High res look better?

Thanks for any insight as I am still reading and learning.

You see, the CCD in the low res camera has larger pixel, that means it can collection more light than that on high res CCD.

So i guess if you want higher res at night you need an additional illumination source at night to help it a little and if your not needing the additional resolution the low res would actually be better at night.

Well after reading/educating more I see that ICR comes into play.

So to get the quality I'm looking for in ambient light I'm considering either the B2760NVF * 1/3" SONY Super HAD CCD

* High Resolution (530 TV Lines)

* DC Iris Vari-focal Lens(3.8~9.5mm)

* Built-in IR LED 18EA and Sensor 1EA

* IR Visible Range : MAX 20m

* Day&Night (ICR)

* Min. Illumination : 0.00 Lux (IR LED On)

* Weather Proof Housing

* 12VDC

* IP 65

or trying the new Monalisa VBM-24VF

I like the idea of dome and I see most recommend separate IR source anyway if extra lighting is needed.

Would the general consensus be the monalisa? It's for residential shooting about 40 feet along the side of my house to the back deck with ambient light from a pole light about 30 yards away. Had a guy throw some gas on my deck last summer and try to burn me out

Thanks for the response by the way. I appreciate your help.

B2760NVF is a decent bullet for the price, good for low light apps, switches to BW. As anything the IR will depend also on the reflective objects within the rated IR distance. At the least you will be getting a better image in low lighting due to the switch to BW and the higher sensitivity, compared to a low light color camera, and can add additional IR if required. If mounted too high though the IR will not be implemented well if at all. I cant speak for the monalisa as I have not used it, and have no plans to do so.

Would the general consensus be the monalisa?

With one exception (apparently), the Monalisa line would be the near-unanimous recommendation from the denizens here. There are better cameras out there, but they will cost SUBSTANTIALLY more. For today at least, the CNB Monalisa series are the cat's a$$ for low-light coverage.

Thanks for your tips, I'm going to try the VCM-24vf (they were out of stock on the VBM so I got it at the same price) and see how it works out. Also ordered some better cable. I should have read more before ordering in the first place huh

Got the VCM-24VF up and it looks great with a bit of ambient light. I haven't messed with any setting (Don't really know that I need to) .. just set lens and focused for the night. Thanks for the advise!

I haven't really had to do any setup to any of them, either... I've gone through the menus and tweaked most of the settings, but as yet, there hasn't been anything there that needs changing from the defaults.