Soundy

Video over powerline options

Okay, this may prove to be an exercise in futility, but...

I have a customer who wants three small (7") monitors in the hostess stand in the front of their restaurant. They'll provide the monitors and all the millwork, all I have to do is get the video to them.

Here's the catch: there's no existing wiring to the stand except a single AC run. We're told there MIGHT be a conduit under the stand that the AC runs through, but have no idea how big it is, how much space there is in it (not that I WANT to run video through it right beside the AC, but if that's the only way...), or where it will end up... and I can't find out without ripping the whole stand up off the floor.

I have one "easy" option and that is a small "trough" cut in the tile floor from the stand to the wall, to run a piece of Cat5e through. That would still be tricky and involved.

So the other option is either a video-over-powerline setup, or network-over-powerline with video encoders/decoders (keeping in mind that I need THREE feeds, which would mean three sets of either). Neither seems cheap. I talked to the customer's IT guy who has played with some consumer video-over-powerline devices, but says they don't work on a power bar (which we'd have to use), and between us, we don't see how you'd use three on a single power leg. If there IS a device that would do it, I expect it would be prohibitively expensive.

SO... anyone in da house who's more familiar with these technologies??

Soundy,

Check out the HomePlug ethernet-over-power line equipment. LinkSys, Belkin and NetGear make a number of models with capabilities from 85Mbps to 200Mbps. You really wouldn't need 3 sets, depending on where the cameras are, at most you would need 4 devices - 3 to send and one to receive.

Getting ethernet over the powerline is the easy part... I still have to get three cameras to three displays. Will a single receiver drive three displays, each with a different camera?

Keep in mind, none of these are IP cameras, this is just using existing analog cams. Most likely, I'll be splitting off their inputs to the existing GeoVision system (using active splitters, of course).