Sign in to follow this  
docedog

Cable Modem & Home CCTV System

I have a home CCTV configuration set up with 6 cameras, Channel Vision modulators inserting channels into my cable. I am trying to add cable modem access but when I splice it into my system using a 2-port splitter it fails. I am splitting it at the main feed for the cable and as soon as I connect my system to the splitter the cable modem goes down. Could my cable signal be that week that when I connect a third device to the splitter it drags the signal down? I also have a Channel Plus LPF470 Low-Pass filter at the cable access point that seems to block the cable modem signal that I have removed for testing. Question: does a 2-port splitter still lose 3.5db if only one device in/out is connected? Any ideas/comments on this configuration?

couple quick things to check. is there dc voltage on the line? If so you may need a DC blcker to stop it from being split/passed? frequency of the splitter has to be correct for the signal(s). I'm guessing your grounding any dc voltage which is knocking out the signal.