fireski

CCTV design for a large Campus

Hello, I was called to quote a system for a large college campus. It has 14 buildings, so I am thinking it could be 112 cameras for 8 on average per building. I am an idependant alarm dealer, have done schools and businesses with 16-28 cameras all in one building, but nothing like this. Not sure where to start on this.... how do I tie in all the camreras, what do you use for a "dvr" shoudl you put one dvr in each building and network them together?

Thanks!

Hello, I was called to quote a system for a large college campus. It has 14 buildings, so I am thinking it could be 112 cameras for 8 on average per building. I am an idependant alarm dealer, have done schools and businesses with 16-28 cameras all in one building, but nothing like this. Not sure where to start on this.... how do I tie in all the camreras, what do you use for a "dvr" shoudl you put one dvr in each building and network them together?

Thanks!

I would suggest you are starting at the wrong end of the process.

To design a system for a high risk establishment such as this, you need to prepare a risk assessment and agree an operational requirement with the client.

Examine the areas of concern, the monitoring arrangements, legal requirements, future wish list etc and build this into the plan.

Then consider the existing infrastructure to see if there is any opportunity for using existing.

Look at other systems that will need similar infrastructure and monitoring arrangements (fire, intruder, panic, access control, vending, BMS lift monitoring etc) and this will then give you a steer as to which technology will be the most appropriate.

Start with pre-concieved ideas and you will are unlikely to do the best for your client.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

This is a very interesting project.

It would be great if you would share your solution on this board.

A few of us may learn a thing or two from this.

I agree with The Merchant. We are currently working on an install for a campus and we have so far installed 15 2MP IP cameras along with 5 IP PTZ cameras and several encoders (for existing cameras). This installation is all tied together with an NVR (and as we progressively add cameras, a second NVR is on the roadmap) and can be monitored remotely using our VMS.

Ilk is correct that it's probably best to look at a total system for this installation and not as 8 cameras + 8 cameras + 8 cameras. If the campus is not interested in integrating the CCTV with other systems, then still consider future expansion: go with something that's scalable and can expand easily.

it all comes down to budget

if the budget isn't there, then IP may not be the way to go

if you're interested, I can help you design a system both ways, analog & IP.

If interested, let me know

Mitch

The cheaper and easier way would probably be to just stick in a DVR in each building then connect to them from a PC running their CMS or multisite software. The good thing about that is if the network goes down then they are all still recording locally. Ofcourse if you have time and they have the money then perhaps IP based with onboard storage, such as the Mobotix cameras, might be the way to go. You could also just use IP cameras and an NVR in each location instead of the DVR. Really alot of options. I always look at the budget first though, that dictates what they can afford, not what they want or need. No point in spending days or weeks on a quote if they cant even remotely afford it.

The cheaper and easier way would probably be to just stick in a DVR in each building then connect to them from a PC running their CMS or multisite software. The good thing about that is if the network goes down then they are all still recording locally. Ofcourse if you have time and they have the money then perhaps IP based with onboard storage, such as the Mobotix cameras, might be the way to go. You could also just use IP cameras and an NVR in each location instead of the DVR. Really alot of options. I always look at the budget first though, that dictates what they can afford, not what they want or need. No point in spending days or weeks on a quote if they cant even remotely afford it.

I agree that installing a DVR in each building is an option that can be considered.

With the exprience that we have in the UK at installing CCTV, I can only repeat that the correct way to install CCTV systems is to establish the operational requirement before you design the system.

Only by understanding why the CCTV system is being installed in the first place, can you hope to met the Client's expectations and requirements (not always the same thing!).

Otherwise there is a danger that CCTV is installed just for the sake on on having a CCTV system, typically exposed as soon as the system is required to provide evidence (if this is why CCTV is being installed in the first place) after a major incident.

Ilkie