jr219

Help with camera replacement.

I am looking to replace some cameras where I am not happy with the quality. One is by garage door looking into street. It just doesn't have a bunch of dynamic range and at night it gets all washed out with streetlight and during the late afternoon it looks horrible with the shadows. See screen shots attached.

Looking for a low profile dome suitable for installation in residential area. The area has good street lighting and normally two coach lights, so I don't know that IR is really required. I just want better quality then I have now.

FYI. Here is a link to the camera I currently have:

I also need some new indoor domes, but that will be another post.

http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Outdoor-Security-Camera-p/dpro-420biw.htm

-jr

Snapshot-6.jpg.8e0375d41966d2186f2fd5312666c81c.jpg

Snapshot-5.jpg.886f9d1feeb0d19971fe896ec944a132.jpg

Hmmm, a Panasonic WV-CW484 would handle that lighting nicely... although probably a bit out of your price range at ~$600

Something like this would work great, though, for about a third that price: http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?inc=fea&seqx_prod=1126#p_v1

So you agree it kind of is unacceptable. Video out of that wouldn't be usable IMO.. I think IR isn't really needed in this situation, what do you think?

I don't mind spending the money if it does the job. I was looking at some of the samsung units too. I was going to go name brand this time, because I think you kind of get what you pay for. There is a bunch of stuff coming out of asia all private labeled and while some of it is good other stuff is just crap.

One thing i don't like about panasonic units is the size. They look big..

-jr

Hmmm, a Panasonic WV-CW484 would handle that lighting nicely... although probably a bit out of your price range at ~$600

Something like this would work great, though, for about a third that price: http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?inc=fea&seqx_prod=1126#p_v1

So you agree it kind of is unacceptable. Video out of that wouldn't be usable IMO.. I think IR isn't really needed in this situation, what do you think?

I don't mind spending the money if it does the job. I was looking at some of the samsung units too. I was going to go name brand this time, because I think you kind of get what you pay for. There is a bunch of stuff coming out of asia all private labeled and while some of it is good other stuff is just crap.

One thing i don't like about panasonic units is the size. They look big..

-jr

Will the WV-CW484F flush mount kit fit in a 4x4 box so I can mount somewhat flush under the eve?

Also, sometimes the camera I have looks fine. See todays screen shot. Still think the resolution should be a bit better.

-jr

Snapshot-7.jpg.b3b3ca60fbe9a4ab1945b08d85208786.jpg

IR isn't needed; the camera actually appears to have pretty good night vision... it just doesn't handle the wide range of lighting very well. What make/model is it? I'm assuming it's a fixed-iris lens?

That one is, yes. The CNB and Panasonic mentioned above are auto-iris, which allows them to better handle wide variations in lighting conditions.

That one is, yes. The CNB and Panasonic mentioned above are auto-iris, which allows them to better handle wide variations in lighting conditions.

And the panasonic flush mount will fit in a 4x4 box giving it a "shorter" overall appearance?

Does panasonic make a controller to adjust settings remotely? Maybe something handheld since I know my speco DVR likely can't talk to it over coax?

-jr

The Panasonic, and some models of the CNBs, do support RS-485 control using Pelco protocols - your Speco should be able to control them if it has RS-485 output, you'd just need to run an extra pair of wires (just about anything will do - Cat5, Cat3, station wire, intercom wire, speaker wire, whatever).

There's also Windows software that will do it from a laptop with a serial port - check out PTZ Controller at www.serialporttool.com, or zmxtech's new creation at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12173

The Panasonic, and some models of the CNBs, do support RS-485 control using Pelco protocols - your Speco should be able to control them if it has RS-485 output, you'd just need to run an extra pair of wires (just about anything will do - Cat5, Cat3, station wire, intercom wire, speaker wire, whatever).

There's also Windows software that will do it from a laptop with a serial port - check out PTZ Controller at http://www.serialporttool.com, or zmxtech's new creation at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12173

It does support RS485. I'll have to check it out.

-jr