jxk716

Power for Panasonic SD III

I have a Panasonic WV-CW484 running on an individual 12 VDC adapter, 1300 mA, running on about 40 feet of 1 pair from Cat5 (All other wires on the cat5 are used - can't double the line). The camera is working fine but I need to replace the power supply because it belongs to someone else. A brand new 12 VDC, 1.5 Amp did not provide enough juice. The 18 Ch 12 VDC, 10 Amp main power supply did not provide enough juice for the Panasonic. I checked the specs in the booklet and it says the cam can run on 24 VAC, 5.3 Watt or 12 VDC 430 mA.

So here is the question: should I buy a 24 VAC? If so do I look for 5.3 Watt? Or should I get another 12 VDC 1300 mA?

I can't figure out why the 1.5 Amp would not work since it seems more than the 1.3. However I just check the output on the DC adapter there now and it say 17 VDC yet the sticker on it says 12. The meter reading at the camera says 13 VDC. Should I get something with higher volts?

I'd go for the 24 Volt supply, the higher voltage equates to lower amperage, and thus less voltage drop, in the line. Also, you will have a little more room for losses in the cable, because the camera most likely internally regulates the input voltage back down to 12 Volts or so internally.

As far as 12 Volt adapters, most unregulated ones will vary widely in their unloaded voltage (as you mentioned, 17 Volts or so), and thereby allowed the camera to work, where the (probably) regulated multiple output power supply started at 12 Volts, and then dropping too low at the camera end after cable losses to allow it to operate.

Also, by using 24 Volt AC for cameras when possible, they will be less susceptible to ground loop problems that plague DC systems, especially when using a single power supply.

Thanks, how many amps should I get? I did a quick search and I am seeing a range from 24 VAC 500 mA to 2 and 3 amps. This is where my electrical knowledge needs help

A 24V, 20VA transformer will do just fine.

I think hardwired nailed your problem: if the original transformer was a non-regulated type kicking out 17V at the source and dropping to 13V at the camera, then a regulated 12V supply would be dropping to probably 8V at the camera, maybe even lower with the greater current draw.