thekuai

are there are problems with wall mounting a dome

No .. it is straight forward .. couple screws and good to go.

But for the same or even less $$ you can get the VBM-24VF which is vandal resistant and outdoor (IP66).

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1077

my original intention is to mount it on the wall by the doorbell...but for other applications, what is the advantage to using the mounting bracket?

i see that it has a punch-out on the side. Can this be used for mounting to pvc/emt pipe? if so what is the diameter?

Well the wall mount bracket could just be something else to buy or can be broken ..

But the wall mount bracket could also give you more of a view which sometimes you cant get in some locations if just surface mounted to the wall or high up on the side of a building. For example you might not be able to turn the camera the entire way to view down on a gate entrance .. with the wall mount you may be able to .. also it could be more cosmetic.

As for the punch out not sure as never used that exact camera, but many have on this forum.

Haven't used the VBM model, but we have installed lots of the VCM versions... I would assume the side knockout is the same as on the VCM's backbox, in which case it's a standard thread for 1/2" fittings (EMT, LiquidTite, etc.). These cameras have no problem looking straight back down a wall... the only reason I might use a bracket is for looks, or to SLIGHTLY help prevent rain from collecting on the dome. Still, even on a wall mount, the rain beads off the domes fairly well, and a quick application of Rain-X or similar product will help that along, too.

edited:

looks like the only difference is that the vcm can be flush mounted?

Edited by Guest

Looks like the diff is the VCM can be surface OR flush mounted while the VBM is just surface mount only.

Does anyone know a good place to mailorder the CNB VBM-24vf in the US?

I got mine from surveillance-video, great price and fast shipping!