Sign in to follow this  
misha

Record on flash card (SD) / transfer to ftp

Hello

Maybe someone of you had a similar task and can give advice regarding following objective:

I'm looking for a camera able to record video to SD card, dividing it to 1 hour movies and software able to take that movies from SD card located in the camera and transfer it to remote ftp on specified time of the day (in order not to load network during day)

Just went through this exercise. Besides Mobotix, Cameras with SD slots include Sanyo, Panasonic, Y-cam, Vivotek and Axis. Only select cameras at each company. They all also FTP.

Just went through this exercise. Besides Mobotix, Cameras with SD slots include Sanyo, Panasonic, Y-cam, Vivotek and Axis. Only select cameras at each company. They all also FTP.

But I think he was asking for a camera that can FTP the images off the SD card.

Maybe yes, maybe no, depends how you read it. To me, "software able to take that movies from SD card located in the camera and transfer it to remote ftp" means he's not expecting the camera to do it, but software on a PC was my assumption. So the first step is to find all cameras that can write to an SD card and I provided all the ones I know of. The next step is finding software that will read the SD card and FTP the images to a website.

Ironically, Mobotix is not a good choice, because it's going to write to the SD card in it's own format and then you'll have to use mx control center software to export to viewable format and then ftp it, so while Mobotix is a fantastic camera, not sure if it meets this perculiar need.

Of course the question that begs to be asked is if most, if not all IP cameras (except Arecont) can FTP directly to a website, why have interim storage on a SD card? Of course not all cameras FTP video, many only FTP jpegs so that's something to consider. For example, Panasonics will FTP video, Axis, at least the 2 I have wil not FTP video, only jpegs.

But none of them will FTP images or video off of the SD card Right now Mobotix is the only solution that integrates the SD card in the VMS solution but I am heard Axis is going to start by the end of the year.