Butch

Newbie Needs Assistance

Hi All, I need a little advice.

I was lucky enough to pick up a project here at the office where we need to archive data due to new Federal Regulations.

We have 3 kalatel DVMREe with what looks like 200 gig drives each and a total of 14 cameras. This has all been in place for a while now. The units record on motion and currently are writing to the internal drives.

I'm looking for advice on how to archive approximately 60 days worth of data from each of these devices as cost effectively as possible. I want to call the Kalatel's recording method proprietary but I believe the term is Embedded. Please excuse my lack of knowledge here but I'm working on it.

My first thought was using something like waveReader to record then have these files backed up during our night time backup process. There are manual steps involved, and again this was my first thought and it does appear that it will create some very large .rdb files. We will need a way to easily retrieve the data if the need arises, so that is why I thought the PC way might be the way to go.. Again I'm new.. sorry.

We have oddles of backup space so I don't see that as being a problem...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I totally going in the wrong direction?

thanks in advance.

Butch

- if you use current equipment and archive you'll spend more time saving it and then more time attempting to retrive specific recorded events. transfering to another video to a seperate storage device has always been harder not smarter. you can do it but you'll have to hire a full time person with great eyes to do it.

- i recommend that you buy and install video servers that support your final goals of seamless archiving and recalling of specific recorded events. Take a look at the Video Insight VJ series cards. They are capable of integerating everything you need to attain your project goals. you can find them at http://www.video-insight.com. You will end up with a XP Pro driven video server that is easily upgradeable, seamlessly integrates into your current network infrastructure and delivers a networked video system to anyone you wish. The archiving is integrated into the Video Insight software so that your "job" is as easy as click'n the mouse. it sounds like you'll also need a RAID storage system, but, if your network is already providing that all you'll need to do is direct your recording/archiving to that storage unit(s). As far as researching recorded/archived video, Video Insight software is the most powerful software I have found to date that will make your searches faster, fun, and accurate. The upfront costs for new equipment that does the job right will be less than one years salary for someone to operate your current equipment so selling it to the boss maybe easier from that perspective.

and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me...................or Tom at Video Insight.

The DVMRes Support Raid, and also, GE has their own digital device called the DVS. The DVRs you have are ready to be attached to archiving devices, so there is no need to buy any thing else at this point, unless you want to, but you have some great machines.

WaveReader will not do what you want.

Check GE Support for further info. Do you have the archiving manual that came with it? It lists everything you need to know abouyt aqrchiving, i will see if I can locate the PDF and post it here.

Rory