Jim Hefner

Standalone, low power consumption, 4 to 6 outdoor cameras?

There's a lot opinions out there, but what works best for us is to use CAT5E with good quality baluns for the video. We've got installs using a mix of both RG59 siamese (most common) and Cat5e w/ baluns... I can't tell the difference in video quality and I've been doing this a long time.

There's a LOT of advantages to using CAT5e, plenty of threads discussing why.

OK, either Cat5 or the RG59siamese. I guess I'll hold on deciding which for now.

How about a system? Or someone I can call that will help me piece one together?

Thanks

I doubt 2 fixed cams could replace what he wants to cover with 2 ptzs he originally had in mind. That's why I assumed the min 8 fixed cam requirement.

I doubt it as well, but since he's stated the budget is fixed, I'm trying to reduce the requirements

But even at 6 cams, I'd still be impressed if you could pull off 75-100' IR range, low power requirements, PLUS all the other equip for that budget.

So would I

Keep in mind that "IR range" itself is a nebulous concept, especially when you throw in the varied ways manufacturers measure that quantity. Whether it's a USABLE level of illumination will depend on the camera as well - your typical cheapie built-in-IR camera has horrid low-light response to begin with, hence the need to add the IR. Use a camera like a Mona Lisa, that has true day/night function and excellent low-light capability, and you need a lot less IR to get a usable result at a given range.

My point was, the ideal way to accomplish all his original goals just aren't possible with the budget. Compromises will have to be made and I think the OP gets that. So what are we arguing about again? lol

I didn't know we were!

I'm not saying this WILL work... I'm just saying that within the cost constraints, it's a lot MORE LIKELY to give acceptable results than most other options. Low-cost cameras with good low-light capability, means lower IR requirements, which at least HELPS to reduce the overall budget hit. Not saying there's not more reduction needed, just providing a stepping stone. I'll leave it to someone else to do the actual calculations of IR output vs. beam spread vs. illumination range vs. camera sensitivity, I'm just putting ideas out there

As far as the power requirements, keep in mind the OP has stated that the power source is a separate budget, and we don't know what that budget is or how it will be addressed - it could turn out that there's lots of power available to run plenty of illuminators, and as has already been approached, there are ways to reduce the power requirements there as well (PIR triggers for the IR, etc.).

BTW, you noted further above, the need for additional relays because of the low current capacity of a PIR's output relay... now without going down to the garage to actually GET a PIR and check the spec sheets I'd suggest there are still ways around the issue. One could spec PIRs that HAVE beefier relays. One could also switch the 120VAC supply to the IRs' power adapters, since the current will be 1/10th of what it is at 12V (and these type of relays' contacts are typically rated at 250VAC or better - naturally one would have to check the specs of the actual units used).

Or, again, if the power budget is sufficient... just leave the IR running all night and turning on and off via their own light sensors.

Seeing as the IR capabilities are going to be limited in range, costly, and power hogs, I'm totally willing to let them go...

You may not be able to, if there's no ambient light...

You may not be able to, if there's no ambient light...

maybe some solar powered motion lights and cheap color bullet cameras?