ImaginationConceptsInc

Help me with choose server for ip setup

Hi,

Im currently putting together a 31 camera system. We are wiring for more cameras in the future, but for now it will only be 31. It consist of the following

Running Exacq Software

(21) Axis m3014 running at 800x600 resolution @ 15fps

(2) Axis P3301 running at 640x480 @ 15fps

(2) Axis P3343-VE running at 800x600 @ 15fps

(5) ACTi ACM-1231 running at 1.3mp @ 8 fps

(1) Axis Q6032-E running at 720x480 @ 15fps

I plan on having up to 19 additional cameras at some point later on. I am planning on putting in two servers to handle all of the cameras and for future upgrade. I would like to use dell just cause its easy for me to build and comes with a warranty.

I would like someones opinion on what dell server could handle these cameras. Anything under $2000 is fine. I plan on having four 2tb hard drives in each server. Im not sure on what hard drives to put them at the moment. I was looking at using seagates constellation drives for reliability.

This is what i was thinking of in a rack mount chassis

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqdwe2k&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I like the WD drives myself, they have the AV models though I havent used those particular ones.

I like dell, setup hundreds of dell rack servers for years, but you are limited I believe to 6 3.5" drives which sometimes forces you into external storage which gets pricey. Have you considered Oralce servers? The reason I mention it is that they are a little more clever in design allowing 12 (3.5") to 24 (2.5") drives in a 2U rack mount server.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/x86/sun-fire-x4270-m2-server-077279.html

To me Dell & Oracle are the mid tier of the name brand server market and pretty comperable in price, performance, quality. You can run Oracle Solaris on them, but for the most part, I've generally run Linux on them.