mkstretch

Help with DVR and Cameras

I'm looking to buy an 8 channel DVR and 3 motion detector cameras and one bullet camera for outside. I need someone to tell me which DVR and cameras are the best brands. I also want a DVR with remote access from a PC, Blackberry, iPod touch. Thanks much!

Well first of all, you're missing the one critical piece of information: what is your budget for this system? You probably don't want to spend the money for "the BEST brands", and the CHEAPEST systems won't have brand names at all... what you're looking for will be somewhere in the very broad middle.

What do you mean by "motion detector cameras"? You mean the covert ones built into PIR (motion detector) housings? Or are you looking to be notified or recording to be triggered based on motion?

What are your requirements for each camera? You budget is very do-able.

I haven't worked with ICRealtime. I have a dealer account setup, but never tested anything from them. I only recommend or sell products I can personally vouch for... But I have tested a huge variety of products from numerous manucaturers. I'd highly recomend Avermedia for your recorder. In my opinion, the price point just can't be beat for the support, software, reliability, and features.

Tell us more about what the sytem will be used for and we'd be glad to help.

There seems to be some strange stuff being recommended here. We're based in the uk so our equipment won't work in the US. I'm putting links in to give you an example of the sort of thing you need not to try and sell them to you - they won't work in the States.

First of all motion detection. It's actually the DVR recorder that deals with motion detected recording, not the camera. The DVR looks at the screen and decides if anything has changed. If it has then it sets off the motion detected record etc. You can usually select areas of the screen for the DVR to look at / ignore for each camera. Look for a DVR which records in h.264 and at what's called D1 resolution.

Camera - wise I would suggest vari-focal (zoom) lens cameras if budget allows. You don't adjust the zoom during normal operation, only when installing. The benefit is you can fill the frame perfectly with what you are looking to record.

I'm not a huge fan of IP cameras. These tend to be around 3 times the price of normal wired analogue cameras and because all good DVR recorders will allow you to remote access the footage by plugging it into your internet router all the benefits of IP cameras are bypassed. If you are installing in a building which already has network cabling then simply use video baluns and place the DVR somewhere near the patch panel.

It may be that for internal use you can get away with a fixed lens camera but if it's a 1/3 inch CCD I think 6mm might be a little too tight. 3.6mm will give a wider field of view (bearing in mind the distances involved are going to be small so far off detail will be less on an issue).

I hope that helps.

Henry

It's a IC Realtime max 8 DVR with 2 Sony and 1 speco(I don't like specos design) motion detector cameras and one bullet camera outside. So far it's pretty good, I was expecting higher quality out of the cameras, but I think my expectations were to high.

Is anyone familiar with the spec color motion detector camera? I don't like the front where the camera is, it's curved down so it wasn't easy to mount. I was wondering if I could buy a different front face with a flat front. Thanks much!