tracourt

Dog Kennel Application

would like to setup a service for animal kennels to offer to those that board their pet. I propose that for a small daily fee, a CCTV camera would be placed in their pets run. They would be allowed to log in 24/7 to view their pets activity/well-being etc.

I thought I would add my own router to their internet connection, connect each ip camera with a static IP and port. Then all they have to do is give the customer that info for them to login.

My questions are:

1. How could I know how many days the camera was used in a month (to ensure I get paid)

2. Make sure the correct customer is seeing the correct animal

Does anyone have any thoughts, see any flaws etc? I appreciate your help.

I had his idea 2 years ago and I got laughed at when I brought it up to the own of a dog kenel.

You could number the kenels the same as the ports. I would just add an addional one time charge to view the camera. Another idea would be to use VMS software so they could see recorded footage.

http://cam2life.net/products-IC202w.html

No fancy port forwarding needed - give the customer the web address, login and password for their particular camera. Wireless, so you can move one or more around between kennels as needed. Customers can look in from home, or from their phone.

Send a PM to ak357 for more info

Seen this before when searching axis webcams online .. quite a few kennel sites out there, eg

http://www.lapofluxurypetresort.com/petcams.cfm

basically can just setup a web application with the embedded video and dynamically load the appropriate port based on the user login corresponding to their pet cam. As everything would be in a database can just log everytime they login and then charge based on that.

Whatever you use, get something that is well known, not some unknown camera nobody has ever heard of.

What type of software came with the ip cameras? Are you able to look at login history? You could make a link on your website to each IP adress and update it daily with the pets name.

I had a customer do this implementation 2 years ago.

He used PTZ cameras. I wont suggest using PTZ. They are too expensive for your application.

Defnitely go for a brand name like Geovision, Avermedia or NUUO.

With them you can create multiple user names. Users should be able to view them from iphone as well.

unless you have some kind of turnkey solution you will most likely use a manual recording method for billing purposes. while all of the solutions offered resolve the video portion the billing portion is a totally different story. especially for an automated solution.

the key here is to somehow give an account to each user and log + charge for the use. you can manually create accounts, sift through camera/dvr logs to see when they logged in (or probably even export the logs to something more readable) but also at the end of the day you will need to handle or have a proper billing system in place. again you can manually do the billing or figure out a way to export the logs into a billing system and charge from there to automate the whole thing.

the video piece is the easy part as everyone here already explained.

Most likely your bandwidth is not metered. You pay a flat fee for the connection that you have.

If that is the case, you are better off charging a flat fee every month.

This subscription part is built into most merchant accounts.

Set the user connection to time out after for an example 10 mins, that way you wont have people logged in for hours. This way you save the bandwidth, and everyone has a fast connection.

If you can, get a dvr with h.264 compression and can work with Mac from a remote location.

A lot of people now have mac and the last thing you want is spend the money on a nice solution and then find out its not mac compatible.

If you need any help PM me.