crosseyed66

Is there any way to convert Pelco DD5TAC PTZ cameras using c

using a Coaxitron that only has 2 power wires and the coax cable to RS485 controls?

End use is adamant about using these dinosaurs that he paid big bucks for and will not listen to reason.

I am ready to was my hands with this install as he insists that these should be usable since several are still new in the box (from 2001). Factory burnt down (was underinsured) and they are now trying to cut corners trying to finish up the project.

It's not clear if you want to use these cameras with a Coaxitron controller, or use them via Coaxitron with a standard controller?

The cameras DO support Coaxitron, according to the manual so if you have a Coaxitron-capable controller you should be good to go.

If you want to use them with a standard RS-232/485 controller over the single coax run, all you need is the appropriate converter.

Should be a piece of cake... just be sure to bill the $#!t out of him!

The building has now been wired with Cat5e and the end user had now drug out these old things and wants to use them instead of the new PTZ's that the plans called for. I have no idea where to find either a Coaxitron controller (in which case the wires would need to be rerun - which is really no skin off my teeth since they insisted on running all the wires to save money) or if there is a converter that could be used at the camera end that would allow it to be run over the Cat5.

The place burnt to the ground so the new building was wired to allow for future upgrades. Originally it was to have been a hybrid system with a mix of analog and a couple IP Mega-Pixel cameras but they have downsized everything over the past couple years this has been dragging out. They had a few cameras that had not been installed, plus some old B & W units that were around the perimeter that they are trying to use to increase their coverage instead of just buying what they need. I keep telling them that they are going to spend more to try and make the old stuff work that buying new with 10X the resolution. We sold them their server and workstations, their phone systems, now they just want to cheap out on the security and you just can not reason with them.

If you WERE using coax cable and Coaxitron protocol, you don't need a Coaxitron controller... Coaxitron isn't a control protocol so much as a method for running control signals over the same coax as the video. All you need is a standard controller (DVR with serial out will do) and an appropriate converter. The cameras themselves support Coaxitron input over their coax connectors.

HOWEVER, Cat5e is even easier: use one pair for the video (with baluns), another pair for RS-232/485 control, and if the runs aren't too long, use the other two for power. If the runs ARE longer, you can run video and control for two cameras over a single Cat5e. Or video for four. Or video for three and control for one. Or any other number of combinations...