akelley

Mixed Mobotix Environment

Is anyone currently using/installed a mixed environment of Mobotix cameras and another manufacturer (i.e., Arecont)? What NVR (hardware/software) are you using? Since the Mobotix can record internally or to NAS, are people using the NVR to record the Mobotix cameras as well? Is the free software (MxControlCenter) that Mobotix provides sufficient for controlling other IP cameras? Can it be set up to record other manufacturer cameras to NAS?

Mixing cameas with Mobotix sort of defeats one of it's most important features, the built in NVR software and decentralized approach. If you use an NVR or PC, now it has to transmit the image back to a central location. Their control center software does work with some other cameras, but only to view, not to record. Arecont do not have any ability to record on their own. They also have lousy customer service, I would avoid them.

Yeah but Mobotix do have a couple nice cameras which would be nice to add to an existing system, even thinking about that for an existing Geovision system. I realise it can record to a NAS though personally Ive never used one .. onboard SCcard doesnt seem like that would come even close to being enough room, maybe a couple hours or so? For example most my clients want to be able to go back at least a couple weeks.

Yeah, that's why I like the Mobotix for their decentralized approach. But in some cases a Mobotix camera is overkill (indoor cameras that don't require the IP66 housing) or not enough (i.e., optical zoom is required) or the profile isn't quite right (other than the Q series, they're not low profile enough for some scenarios).

So, if you had to mix them in an install, it sounds like it's best to keep the Mobotix separate from other cameras on their own NVR, and let the Mobotix use their own internal NVR software.

Mixing cameas with Mobotix sort of defeats one of it's most important features, the built in NVR software and decentralized approach. If you use an NVR or PC, now it has to transmit the image back to a central location. Their control center software does work with some other cameras, but only to view, not to record. Arecont do not have any ability to record on their own. They also have lousy customer service, I would avoid them.

We have several installations using Geovision Hybrid NVR's with Mobotix M12 and Q24's with analogs. As stated, Mobobtix isn't the answer to all situations. In addition, we add a 1TB USB drive (they're cheap) and dump Mobotix streams to it for a more detailed review using MXControlCenter (free). Gives us the best of both worlds.

MxCC also allows you to access more than just Mobotix and there list is growing.

We have several installations using Geovision Hybrid NVR's with Mobotix M12 and Q24's with analogs. As stated, Mobobtix isn't the answer to all situations. In addition, we add a 1TB USB drive (they're cheap) and dump Mobotix streams to it for a more detailed review using MXControlCenter (free). Gives us the best of both worlds.

MxCC also allows you to access more than just Mobotix and there list is growing.

How do you get the USB drive to work with it when the camera is over 100' away from it?

Or do you mean just close runs?

i thought the usb drive simply had to be on the network and the cameras would simply record the stream to it. from there one would use mxcc to access the video files, etc. maybe im mistaken then.

so if one has mobotix cameras and wants to record multiple streams to a server pc, i take it that mxcc acts as a standard nvr then? and their client program used to watch streams on different pc's would be mxeasy? do i have it right?

i thought the usb drive simply had to be on the network and the cameras would simply record the stream to it. from there one would use mxcc to access the video files, etc. maybe im mistaken then.

so if one has mobotix cameras and wants to record multiple streams to a server pc, i take it that mxcc acts as a standard nvr then? and their client program used to watch streams on different pc's would be mxeasy? do i have it right?

USB drives can connect directly to the camera or a computer. But if you connect directly to the computer you will run out of bandwidth at some point with multiple cameras recording to it.

MXCC and MxEasy are not server software. MXCC has all the goodies and MxEasy is the light easy to use version (neither of them are easy to use) . All they do is put all of the controls and video in one convent place, all the software does is control the cameras. This is why you can only view third party cameras not record them. It looks like server/client software and but they are not.

thanks for the clarification. so what is the best way to go about and use mobotix cameras then? lets say for example i am usig 4 of them on a gigabit network and want them to record all the time (or only motion) and basically overwrite the video file every month or so. would it be better to get other nvr software and run that on a central server?

How do you get the USB drive to work with it when the camera is over 100' away from it?

Or do you mean just close runs?

We've been plugging the USB drives into the hybrid. You can connect right to the Mobotix if you wish but it's easier running MxCC from the server.

We've been plugging the USB drives into the hybrid. You can connect right to the Mobotix if you wish but it's easier running MxCC from the server.

Yeah I forgot about that, can it be shared over the network then set the camera to record to it like that? Just wondering about the speed though as USB is slower.

Yeah I forgot about that, can it be shared over the network then set the camera to record to it like that? Just wondering about the speed though as USB is slower.

Just set up a folder on the USB drive. In Windows, create a new user and password for the camera to access it. Set up sharing and access rights for the folder and windows is pretty much set up. Program the Mobotix with the IP address of the server, the path and the user name and password you set up in Windows, the size and number of days to keep. Reboot the camera and it's all set. The Help file in the Admin Menu>Storage on External File Server page spells it out fairly well.

As for the USB speed, We've been running two Mobotix to one drive without difficulty (yet! 6 months). Anymore than that may be pushing. We only have the cameras set to 1024x768 and 1280x960. Haven't used QXGA.

thanks for the clarification. so what is the best way to go about and use mobotix cameras then? lets say for example i am usig 4 of them on a gigabit network and want them to record all the time (or only motion) and basically overwrite the video file every month or so. would it be better to get other nvr software and run that on a central server?

For wht it's worth, my recommendation would be a Geovision Hybrid system for an analog and IP mix of cameras. You'll get exellent capabilities and recordings stored to the hybrid for either type of camera and have the option of recording the Mobotix cameras to either an onboard SD card, a NAS or a USB drive letting you play back recordings and use the full vptz capabilities of the camera.

24/7 recording will use up a lot of storage space quickly. Motion detect would be a better choice. As for a Gigabit network... 100 Mbps is sufficient.

As for the USB speed, We've been running two Mobotix to one drive without difficulty (yet! 6 months). Anymore than that may be pushing. We only have the cameras set to 1024x768 and 1280x960. Haven't used QXGA.

Whats the recorded frame rate like?

Running around 4 to 8 fps full sensor image to the USB drive with the quality the customer wants. As you know, there are a lot of variables to play with in Mobotix and we could get higher with custom image size cropping and quality settings left at factory defaults.

Funny thing is we get 15+fps recordings into the Geovision with quality to identify faces but using zoom features in View Log the resolutions breaks down to much. That's why the customer wanted the external storage/MxCC addition.

These responses are good, but I should clarify my original post that when asking about "mixed environment" I meant between Mobotix and other IP cameras, not analog. With that said, does anyone have experience with a Mobotix and say, Arecont, installation? What NVR is used to record the Arecont cameras, and is the same NVR also used to record the Mobotix as well?

Edited by Guest

Do you have experience running both Arecont and Mobotix on a Milestone system? Does Milestone support all the features of Mobotix cameras such as PTZ? Last check the answer on PTZ is no.

From some other posts, I got that since Mobotix cameras have their own built in NVR it was best to just let the cameras do their own recording and use the NVR for the other cameras on the network. I'm asking specifically if this is the case or if there is an NVR on the market that fully supports Mobotix and other IP cameras (Arecont, etc.).

Milestone supports both Arecont and Mobotix.

I have a install running Milestone with a mix of Mobotix D12's, Arecont AV5155 domes, Panasonic WV-NW484 and 502 domes, Acti 7411's, and they all play together fine.

What NVR are you using to record all of the cameras? Are you using the NVR to record the Mobotix cameras or just relying on their in-camera recording capabilities (to local storage or NAS)?

I have a install running Milestone with a mix of Mobotix D12's, Arecont AV5155 domes, Panasonic WV-NW484 and 502 domes, Acti 7411's, and they all play together fine.

What NVR are you using to record all of the cameras? Are you using the NVR to record the Mobotix cameras or just relying on their in-camera recording capabilities (to local storage or NAS)?

He is using Milestone