brianj

RG59 Siamese VS. 4-Pair-All-In-One Cables

Hi,

i know most everyone is suggesting heavy RG59 siamese cable, but for my <80ft distances i'm trying to find a thinner ( & unshielded hmm) 4-pair Yellow/White/Red/Black cable like this one, only in bulk:

133071_1.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QS120F-Audio-Video-Extension/dp/B00028JHAE

So what's actually the name of this RCA type cable? Just telephone cord in Y.W.R.B. ?

And what's the backdraw of using it instead RG59 for short distances?

Edited by Guest

So what's actually the name of this RCA type cable? Just telephone cord in Y.W.R.B. ?

DIY cable ..

More prone to damage and interference as well as limited to shorter distances.

Not to mention it is not the best cable to use when using a distributed power supply.

Ive worked with them but I would never suggest anyone use them.

But i really need a thin Video/Audio/DC cable, so what's the actual solution for it?

How would such a yellow-white-red-black cable ideally look like?

-> Shielded yellow + shielded white + DC?

Edited by Guest

DIY cable ..

More prone to damage and interference as well as limited to shorter distances.

Not to mention it is not the best cable to use when using a distributed power supply.

Ive worked with them but I would never suggest anyone use them.

+100

Don't use that cheap crap. It will only make crappy cameras crappier and decent cameras a waste of money.

THE suggestion is, don't use that crap!

Use CAT5e and good quality baluns if you want a thin cable...

Of course, I guess we should ask WHAT you are using the cable for? I'm just going on the assumption you need just video and power to a basic, lower power consuming camera.

I'm just going on the assumption you need just video and power to a basic, lower power consuming camera.

Yes, just video, audio & 12V DC (even though i actually won't use the audio, i like to have it ready)

Yellow(shielded), White(shielded), Red, Black ? Why isn't there anything like this?

But i really need a thin Video/Audio/DC cable, so what's the actual solution for it?

How would such a yellow-white-red-black cable ideally look like?

-> Shielded yellow + shielded white + DC?

Why do you need ultra thin cable? If its just to go through a wall, can splice a thin piece of cable just for that, or drill a bigger hole.

Why do you need ultra thin cable?

Basically just for the convenience of having a single white & thin cable that is easier to hide without drilling holes into the ceiling at all.. barber shops etc.

But this industry is really heavy, unflexible, industrial CAT5 stone age, so seems i'll have to reinvent the wheel again^^

I really need a mouse cable thin, usb type of cable

Cat5 is stone age?? Say what? Cat5 can run all 3 at once, in one jacket: power, audio, and video. (audio would work, but it may be a little hummy since its unshielded and ran so close to power) This is your best solution if you want thin cable.

You're really looking for what they call "simple cable" and you'll find it by the truck loads. It's marketed to DIYers, who don't have tools to terminate cables and who primarily buy the cheapest of the cheap of everything bc they are not educated in basic electronic theory. Therefore, the only thin simple cable they make is extremly cheap, and breaks a lot of simple rules for carrying good quality signals/ voltage.

This stuff WILL degrade your signal and WILL give you poor results, no matter how good or bad the camera is. Also with the thin AWG, you run the risk of voltage drop, which causes current draw to increase. Lots of bad things can happen there...

Cat5 is stone age?? Say what? Cat5 can run all 3 at once, in one jacket: power, audio, and video. (audio would work, but it may be a little hummy since its unshielded and ran so close to power) This is your best solution if you want thin cable.

You're really looking for what they call "simple cable" and you'll find it by the truck loads. It's marketed to DIYers, who don't have tools to terminate cables and who primarily buy the cheapest of the cheap of everything bc they are not educated in basic electronic theory. Therefore, the only thin simple cable they make is extremly cheap, and breaks a lot of simple rules for carrying good quality signals/ voltage.

This stuff WILL degrade your signal and WILL give you poor results, no matter how good or bad the camera is. Also with the thin AWG, you run the risk of voltage drop, which causes current draw to increase. Lots of bad things can happen there...

Well, i did know those cables ruin the quality over higher distance, still the reason i asked is because i was looking for a solution other than using thick unflexible RG59 or cat5 cable and balons (even though it's cheap. And from the replies, seems like what i'm looking for doesn't exit.. yet again^^

Now i'll look into thin shielded phone line, trying to find manufacturer making one in Y.W.R.B.

9534%20Equiv%20Cable,%204%20Core%20Screened%20100m.jpg

what about this one?

it will work, just not at long distances nor for powerful IR cameras, and its a 50-50 chance you might pick up interference. I ran a 2 pair telco cable around 50' to a camera here at my appt one night for example, got all kinds of verticle and horizontal lines, wasnt near power cable but when it came back to the DVR it was. On that same note i recently extended the cable for a 2nd hand camera i got which had the cable cut 1" from the camera .. extended with telco cable around 3 feet tied into siamese for the rest of the run, works, but i wouldnt do that for a client, just that i have a box of telco wire here.

I ran a 2 pair telco cable around 50' to a camera here at my appt one night for example, got all kinds of verticle and horizontal lines

Ok, so from that i read there is really no expensive thin-cabling with separate shielding out there?

We dont use aluminum shielded cable for CCTV, it has higher resistance and can distort the video.

We dont use aluminum shielded cable for CCTV, it has higher resistance and can distort the video.

So you are using some sort of space-age copper shielded cable instead?

"I will not explain everything, somethings you have to figure out for yourself." i see... ^^

So you are using some sort of space-age copper shielded cable instead?

"Although coaxial cable with aluminum shielding provides 100% shielding, it should only be used for RF cable television (cattv) and master television (mattv) signals used for home video cable reception. This aluminum-shield type should never be used for CCTV for two reasons: (1) it has higher resistance, and (2) it distorts horizontal synchronization pulses.

The added resistance-approximately seven times more than that of a 95% copper or copper-clad shield-increases the video cable loop resistance, causing a reduction in the video signal transmitted along the cable. The higher loop resistance means a smaller video signal reaches the monitoring site, producing less contrast and an inferior picture. Always use a good-grade 95% copper braid RG59/U cable to transmit the video signal up to 1000 feet and and RG11/U to transmit up to 2000 feet. Distortion of the horizontal synchronization pulse causes picture tearing on the monitor, depicting straight-edged objects with ragged edges."

http://books.google.bs/books?id=DaQY8CrmqFcC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

this is basically what I use, its hardly space age though, we call it Siamese Cable, also known as Shotgun cable, RG59 coax for video and 1 pair 18awg for power. Also comes in a single jacket.

133095_1.jpg

this is basically what I use, its hardly space age though, we call it Siamese Cable, also known as Shotgun cable, RG59 coax for video and 1 pair 18awg for power. Also comes in a single jacket.

Hi,

i know most everyone is suggesting heavy RG59 siamese cable, but for my <80ft distances i'm trying to find a thinner ( & unshielded hmm) 4-pair Yellow/White/Red/Black cable....

Back to start?

seriously, i really need some input on this.. thin white cable that runs video audio and 12volts up to 80ft...

Back to start?

seriously, i really need some input on this.. thin white cable that runs video audio and 12volts up to 80ft...

You already found it, the white wire in your first post .. doubt will get any smaller than that.

can also look for telco wire (as used for burglar alarm installs), but stranded instead of solid, similar to RCA.

We already mentioned the reasons not for using it .. so its up to you now

In other words, if you come back complaining there is distortion or lines, we cant help ..

Cat5e isn't flexible??? You may be confused about what cat5e is...

I don't think it gets much more flexible than that!

You're trying to reinvent the wheel by making it square. Stop it!

Use cat5e and baluns.