mrxclnc

IR cameras continuously sense motion at night

I just setup a DVR system with the equipment listed in my signature and i just noticed that the IR cameras continuously detect motion when all the lights are turned off. Any reason this would occur? As soon as I turn the lights on, there is no more motion detected.

Well, what is the recorded video showing?

This is not uncommon, as the IR tends to attract flying bugs - they get in close and the IR lights them up bright. Turn the light on, the IR goes off, and the bugs are no longer "seen" by the camera.

It's also not uncommon for cheap IR cameras to have power/ground issues that cause moving interference in the picture when the IR comes on.

*what he said

Also cheap cameras seem to get more noise in low/ zero light. These tiny dots jumping around the screen will easily trick the DVR into thinking there is movement.

Dial back your motion sensativity on the DVR and see if that helps. But be sure to test it at night by slowly walking into the view of the camera to make sure it will still be triggered by real movement. You don't want to set it so low that nothing is captured.

What they said ^^

also you might want to look at the video at night and mask out any areas that might have more motion, also spray bug spray like baygon around the camera, could help keep some of the bugs away for a week or so at a time (we did this every 2 weeks for motion detectors at the 2 major food stores here in their warehouses, the ****roaches and spiders loved them, but this worked for a week or so at a time to help prevent false alarms, didnt stop the huge rats though!)

Also you might want to consider setting a schedule for recording on motion during daylight hours and continuous record at night at a lower framerate.