Blake CCTV

IP bandwidth

Can anybody tell me what the bandwidth usage is for either a 1.3 mega pixel or 5 mega pixel camera between the camera and a Geovision NVR.

I need to tell a customer how much impact this will have on their network

Can't say for all cameras but the Mobobtix IP's put a load of between 1 to 2.5 Mbps per camera depending on how they're configured. I'm sure other brands are similar. Keep the camera load on the network to around 40% and you should avoid delays in display and impacting your customer requirements.

We get 15 to 18 f/s recorded to our Geo NVR's but we are using Mobotix MxPEG. If your cameras use MJPEG, your bandwith requirements will at least double.

Can anybody tell me what the bandwidth usage is for either a 1.3 mega pixel or 5 mega pixel camera between the camera and a Geovision NVR.

I need to tell a customer how much impact this will have on their network

Too vague a question. Bandwidth will depend on codec, compression level/image quality, image sharpness, image complexity, image saturation, amount of movement, nature of movement, frequency of movement, framerate, whether the camera does onboard motion detection/analytics (to minimize whether and when it actually sends data), and of course, the actual resolution...

Best bet is to try to figure out what the client wants to hear, then pull an appropriate number out of your ass. Then look for a camera that will fall within the requirements.

MxPEG is not listed as supported on GEO's site.

It may not be listed as fully supported but Geo added a patch in 8.3.1. When you go to Install IP Cameras and finish up the configuration for streaming you can select MJPEG or MxPEG.

Geo software does not make use of all the features MxPEG offers the way the camera utilizes it but it makes a difference when sending data to the NVR versus MJPEG