programmergeek

Painting CNB

I have to paint some of these to match the landscape. I found Rustolum camofloge paint, it is perfect looks like a tree branch and is flat. Trouble is I sprayed the arm and camera but it doesn't seem to stick as well as I would like. Besides stripping these down to the metal and priming how can I paint them with a durable finish.

I know there was a thread a week or so ago on painting them or it was part of a thread but I couldn't find it.

Will some sort of primer solve my issue, or maybe a light sanding? Or do they just wax the finish or something?

Here's a thread about the CNB Domes:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21952&start=0&

Quote from Soundy about painting them:

The CNBs are totally spray-paint-able. With the VCMs, we just remove the bubble and paint the top ring, paint the back-box separately, and we get a little white "racing stripe" where the edge of the main body shows through (the photo below is a VBM so it doesn't have the separate back-box). In a couple instances, we HAVE removed the "guts" as well, where we didn't want the stripe showing... it's not difficult.

We generally need them to be black, and found a semi-gloss or satin paint works best - gloss is too susceptible to fingerprints and marring, and flat paint just flakes off. We've used a "bumper" paint and found it to be among the most durable, but recently discovered Tremclad Pro, which costs a little more but dries a lot quicker and makes a more durable finish.

We haven't found priming necessary... at most just a good wipe-down with isopropyl (97%) to remove contaminants. We've actually got to the point we're doing so many of them (and other MP domes) for the one customer, my co-worker modified an old turntable to run at half-speed to allow for easier and more even spraying.

I just used Rust-Oleum to paint four new CNB VBM-24VF cameras and had no problems. I did a light sanding with 200g just enough to give the new paint a key to bond to then wiped them down with Prep-Sol before painting. I did one very light coat, allow to dry about 15 minutes, then a heavier finish coat.

Perfect but no luck on the Tremclad. I went to the local borg and they don't carry it, any idea who does in the states, or any oter paint people have had sucess with?

Yeah, seems to me Tremclad is a Canadian brand - it's a "rust paint" similar to Rust-Oleum. Anything of a similar "pro"-type designation in a different brand should do - the Tremclad Pro runs about $10/can vs. $7 for the "regular" stuff.

Something like "bumper" paint or "BBQ" paint should work well, too - it tends to be extra-durable. The nice thing with the Tremclad Pro is that it also dries really fast (non-tacky in 10 minutes if you don't glob it on), so it's great when you have to paint the cameras on-site, but if you have lots of prep time, drying time isn't such an issue.

What about the cans of plastic paint .. hobby stuff? Ive used that in the past to paint the light fixtures in my jeep and it dries really quick and comes out nice.

I have to paint some of these to match the landscape. I found Rustolum camofloge paint, it is perfect looks like a tree branch and is flat. Trouble is I sprayed the arm and camera but it doesn't seem to stick as well as I would like. Besides stripping these down to the metal and priming how can I paint them with a durable finish.

I know there was a thread a week or so ago on painting them or it was part of a thread but I couldn't find it.

Will some sort of primer solve my issue, or maybe a light sanding? Or do they just wax the finish or something?

you can spray paint the camera just be care full not to paint the serial # or else the warranty is void i should know i sell lots of CNB cameras and i have voided a few cameras that have the serial # painted over.

Best regards,

Hector Castillo