alpine0000

G4-8RTA-D1 DVR not recognizing new HDD's

Hello,

I have a G4-8RTA-D1 DVR that came with 500gb of HDD space. A few months ago I added an additional 1TB (two 500gb drives) and when the DVR boots up, it recognizes them and says they're working fine, so I never thought anything of it...

Fast-forward to tonight: For the first time, I clicked on "DVR properties" in the client software, and in the window that pops up it says my new drives are on "standby", and "abnormal".

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make these drives active? I didn't see anything in the owners manual (not to mention, it was written in VERY poor english and is not easy to understand).

I am upgrading to an IP solution soon, but for now I'd like to get this working properly.

I emailed tech support, but they are very spotty, and over the last two years have only replied to about 25% of my emails, so I figured I'd post here in the meantime and see if any of you guys could help.

dvr.jpg

Thanks!

William

Hi William,

I think the first thing I would look at is why your first HD is in SATA port 5. The information I have on this unit says that it will handel 6 HD with a DVD installed.

The first thing I would do is plug the HD into HDD01 and move down from there.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Trace-Net Network Services, LLC

Hi William,

I think the first thing I would look at is why your first HD is in SATA port 5. The information I have on this unit says that it will handel 6 HD with a DVD installed.

The first thing I would do is plug the HD into HDD01 and move down from there.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Trace-Net Network Services, LLC

Thanks for the idea I will try that tonight when I get home from work and report back!

If anybody else has any other ideas in the meantime, please let me know

I'm not familiar with this particular system, but in my experience, there would generally be something in the menus/options/setup where you have to format/initialize new drives, and/or add them to the drives available to the DVR... it's rarely as simple as just plugging them in and leaving it at that.

I'm not familiar with this particular system, but in my experience, there would generally be something in the menus/options/setup where you have to format/initialize new drives, and/or add them to the drives available to the DVR... it's rarely as simple as just plugging them in and leaving it at that.

Thanks, i will check into that! I wish this owners manual was written a bit better.

Soundy,

You are correct. I went into the HDD manager, and dug deeper than I originally did a few months ago when I installed them, and see that the status of the two newer drives says "unformatted", and it gives me an option to format them. I am doing that now. It might take a few hours. Afterwards, it says I need to reboot. Then we will see if I am back in business!

I made the mistake of installing them, and then seeing the "false hope" icons when the machine boots saying all 4 drives are working properly.

No wonder I am only getting 10-14 days of recording still... Haha

Thanks again