vv4yn0

Help in choosing a DVR

I am hoping to draw on some of the experience in helping me to choose a DVR.

I have to purchase a DVR to replace a PC based system for a friend and have tried two different DVR's but both have been a bit of a disappointment, here's some background and why.

At home I use a NESS EDSR400H and love it. One reason is the recording resolution/framerate is quite good but mainly because of the search and review methods it uses. You can search by event ect but the best part is the 600X/32X/16X/6X/4X/2X playback speeds on all four cams simultaneously. It makes it super simple to find what you want or to watch a lot of footage in a short time. This is the machine I have the most experience with.

So, I replaced my friends DVR with one I bought for $100 from Ebay - It touted D1 but is really laggy and slow trying to switch menus or search for video. It wont playback 4 channels simultaneously at D1 and even struggles to playback 1 channel at D1. Probably what I expected for $100 though.

So then I looked for a NESS DVR because I had a good experience with the one I already owned. I picked up a NESS EDR400. I thought although the form factor was different it would essentially operate the same as my EVDR400H but no, it is totally different. It has the screen based, mouse operated GUI. I don't mind this facet but what is brain numbingly mindless is the search and playback functions - It is an incredibly cumbersome way to review footage and worse if the event you are looking for could have happened over a long period of time as the maximum playback speed is 6X. In reality, it is lucky to actually play at double speed so to troll through an hours footage takes 20 - 30 minutes.

So, long story short, with the things I like about my current DVR in mind, what brand/model DVR will I like?

I dont want to fork out more money to get something that is similar to what I am dissapointed with so what can you suggest? Anyone have an EDSR series machine for sale?

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide,

Wayne

I have a Lorex 20" all in one and it has the same search feature. I can search up to 64x and see all 8 channels at one time. There is no lag in its interface. Though I love the user friendly interface, I think next time I will buy individual components. Just waiting for this unit to break. It's been 2 years so hopefully soon.

Its easy to get spoiled from searching at 64x displaying 8 cams simultaneously. I hope someone answers because I want the same requirements as you.