jetfxr27

Wife says, I need a better view of the kids playing!

Hello,

I have had a cheap $30 camera from Harbor freight hooked to my Kitchen TV for over a year now so the wife can keep an eye on the little ones in the back yard. Well they are getting older and are venturing around the yard a little more. The wife wanted more cameras. Since its just to take a quick look to make sure they are playing like good boys and girls, I didn't want to brake the bank. We also have another little one on the way and she wanted a camera in the nursery to keep an eye on sleeping baby.

I purchased an all in one CCTV kit from newegg.com. It's an elcheapo system however I figured it should be sufficient for what I am doing.

To be exact:

KGuard CA108-H02 4 Camera+8 Channel DVR with Remote Web / Mobile Phone Access

My idea was to purchase and use the VGA at the dvr, and then go BNC to F type, and go to all the TV's in the house. That way every tv in the house can display video from the cameras independently or all at once. It came with 4 and can expand to 8.

I bought BNC to screw type f connector, made my cables. Unfortunately I cant get a signal to my TV's. I looked at a buddy of mines system that was proffesionally installed, and his dvr goes BNC, to a T and from the T it goes to 2 tv's that are f connectors. What am I doing wrong.

I have tried rg6 and rg59. No go on any tv. I double checked that I selected NTSC and it was set. Even tried Pal just in case the DVR programming was wonky.

Is this even possible? Are my video out feeds fried? I am in my 30 day window and if this system will not do what I assumed it would do I need to send it back.

I guess the question is can I go from a BNC out from a DVR via quad shield RG6 to an f connector to a regular NTSC TV?

Thanks for the time.

Jetfxr27

Update:

I found a TV That shows "some" signal. Its a rolling and tearing type image, however it diplays something. I have a little of the other threads regarding isolators. I may try one if I can get my handson one.

The signal from the BNC on the DVR is a composite signal (think yellow RCA cable). The F connector input on your TVs are meant to take a modulated signal from an antenna or cable company. The TVs can't pick up composite on an antenna/cable tuner.

So, what you actually need is a BNC to RCA connector. Then plug that into a composite (yellow) IN plug on your TV. Now when you want to watch the cameras, switch your TV to the composite IN video source.

There is another option. You can buy a modulator that converts the composite signal from the DVR into a channel that your TV can receive through the F connector. This is a bit more expensive, and the cheaper ones are only limited to modulating on a few channels (like 3 or 4). Now once you have a modulated output from your modulator, you need to split this in with the cable that normally feeds your TV.

If your a DIY kind of person, you can rip the modulator out of any old VCR. They work just the same as any other modulator, except that you are probably limited to channel 3 or 4.

Heres a link to a guide on my site on using the VCR to modulate CCTV throughout your house's TVs:

http://birdman.ulmb.com/dep/guides/cctv_to_catv/index.html

" title="Applause" />

Awesome, you set the light bulb off.

Don't know why but my mind was stuck on the BNC as sending an RF signal because of the coax. Mind Block, LOL.

I should have known because the cheap camera I have now hooked up to the Kitchen TV requires a modulator because it only has an rf connection.

To distribute around the house, should I stick with composite or convert via modulators to RF?

Thanks again.

Well in most situations, I would modulate the signal and send it to all of your TVs. Here's why:

At my house (like most houses) I have a distribution box like this:

137124_1.jpg

Inside are some splitters that take the signal from your antenna, cable, or satellite, and split it to all of your TV's:

137124_2.jpg

Its a lot easier to modulate the Composite signal to say, channel 3 (analog), and then split it in with the main signal from your source.

137124_3.jpg

Now you have your TV channels incorporated with your CCTV channel. Then it is all split up just like normal and goes to your TV's.

Finally, when you want to watch the CCTV feed, just switch to the channel its modulated on. You may have to 're-scan' your TVs to get them to find it.

This is a lot easier than running RG59 to every room to the composite in on your TVs.

Well in most situations, I would modulate the signal and send it to all of your TVs. Here's why:

At my house (like most houses) I have a distribution box like this:

Now you have your TV channels incorporated with your CCTV channel. Then it is all split up just like normal and goes to your TV's.

Finally, when you want to watch the CCTV feed, just switch to the channel its modulated on. You may have to 're-scan' your TVs to get them to find it.

This is a lot easier than running RG59 to every room to the composite in on your TVs.

Thanks for the reply.

Few thoughts

1.In your situation do you have issues with other signals bleeding into your channel 3/4 from the modulated source?

If so, what are thoughts on correcting this? I have seen the channel master digital channel assigner, which lets you assign a channel out of range, but its expensive.

2.How much is the signal degraded over the RG6 vs the Rg59?

3. How does this affect affect cable internet? Will the injected signal impede internet perfomance?

Thanks

Jetfxr

Many cable companies will actually assign a channel in their lineup with no signal, specifically for inserting a camera signal. On mine, channel 399 is listed as "SECAM - Security Camera" - I'd just need a modulator pre-set to that channel, rather than an expensive user-configurable model.