boandgo

VBM-24VF config- Night still in Color

I just installed in front of the house it seems that it doesn't want to go black and white. I tested it on the other side of the house where a street light is about 100 feet away and that time it turned to black and white and visibility is impressive. However, in front of the house where there's a 20 watt lamp lighting the driveway, it doesn't turn black and white, i could still see the red and blue color of the cars on the driveway.

What configuration can i change so switch to black and white doesn't only get triggered on just total darkness?.

Thanks in advance.

According to the manual there is no option to adjust the Day/Night switch point in the OSD. So if you have too much light in that location for it to switch, you may need to just set it to B/W.

Same here, the newer models have the low mid high switch over but thats not even in the manual yet LOL. I didnt notice any difference either. Best bet is to try to point it down a bit more or more away from the light source. Also another option is to try and somewhat block the photocell a bit so less light gets to it, but without covering the FOV ofcourse. Additionally there is an EXT for day night which I imagine is an external switchover as when you set it to that it goes right to color, so that might be another option, but I havent tested that myself yet.

Try setting the gain to 7, and see if it switches to b/w.

good idea. Although 7 would be a little too dark to leave it in

Seems on some versions 0.35 is default while others are 0.45 ..

Try setting the gain to 7, and see if it switches to b/w.

good idea. Although 7 would be a little too dark to leave it in

Seems on some versions 0.35 is default while others are 0.45 ..

That's the setting I use on one of my cams with enough light. It too wouldn't switch to b/w. After over a week of fooling around with the settings I settled on a gain setting of 7. Factory default is 15. As you know high gains will amplify noise. I guess some people like the bright live view (high gain), but for me I need the recording to be clear without all the noise.

Rory, I never seen a gain setting of 0.35. Maybe other versions of vbm-24vf's around?

Rory, I never seen a gain setting of 0.35. Maybe other versions of vbm-24vf's around?

Sorry my mistake, I was thinking GAMMA

That might make a difference also .. Ive made it 0.35 for areas that needed to see a little more at night. Some came 0.35 default, most others 0.45. But if they were to set it higher maybe it will switch over quicker.

Also, if anything you could add to this please do, I had to get rid of the one I had here to install at a client so didnt get a chance to add the defaults that came with it, but Ill try with the next one. Like to see what differences there might be between the different versions, also INITIAL does not always seem to set all to default. On one version I could not even enable SLBC even after setting all INITIALs.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22735

Tried setting to high and it somewhat became more sensitive. With low, its almost pitch dark before it switches.

I'll try the gamma and covering the cell tomorrow. Thanks for the great suggestions.

b

Hmmm. Mine don't have a gamma setting.

I was going to add to that topic Rory, but I did do a initial reset so I don't remember all of the original settings.

I think the Gamma was only in the newer version. There are a couple versions floating around, I had 2 different versions in one order.

Supposedly, according to James (CNB Support) the, old vbm's doesn't hae the low, mid, high setting, the new one does (new firmware). Also, if you want to be more granular in that particular setting, the VCB-24VF (according to james) lets you set it from 1-30. Its a wdr, supposedly clearer during the day and much better at night.

fyi.

No photocell on the vbm to cover. It uses the lens itself...Maybe on the next firmware update of the vbm that there will be more than 3 settings for light sensitivity. I opened a ticket and made it a wishlist.

Only the latest versions of the firmware have that menu option. I had a few domes from the same retailer, some came with it, some came without it, they were different versions. Even so though, Ive tested it and could not see that it made a single difference.

Mine does have the 3 level. When setting is "high", it did change quicker. other cnb models has 30 levels, unfortunately, cnb says when the vbm might have more levels in the future "but" our current vbm's are not flashable.

Also, if you want to be more granular in that particular setting, the VCB-24VF (according to james) lets you set it from 1-30. Its a wdr, supposedly clearer during the day and much better at night.

Just to be clear, the VCB-24VF is listed by CNB as having "XWDR", meaning the wide dynamic range is achieved by post-processing in the Blue-i DSP. The VCB-24VF does not have a double-scan CCD required for true WDR (like their VCB-34VF).