groov3

Smart Cabbling Solution? is it good or bad?

Hello guys...

gosh actually i got thousands question about cctv products, design and installation procedure....i'm just a new guy trying to learn more about cctv...

well, i have an assignment to design and install cctv for a factory...as we all can imagine, the location of the camera are quite far from the control room...

Well, as we got this device of "smart cabbling solution" which consist of passive and active tranceiver/transmitter and receiver for cctv cabbling, we only use RG6 and UTP CAT5 cables to transmit the signal from location....

my question is....is this method of cabbling good or bad? i wonder how long is the lifespan and how powerfull this cabbling method on transferring signal where the distance is about 1 KM.

I believe the method will work but for quality side of it i really dunno how long the cabbling solution will survive...i afraid it will create a problem for us to maintain the quality of cabbling and the systems....

Please help me tellin ur experience....or other methods of cabbling for such a distance...

only issues with cat5 and active balun's are ground loops and that cat5 is more effected by other outside signal lines, ie. AC wiring, floresent lighting, electrical motor wiring, ect. Maintain a good wire discipline of distancing and avoiding these other possible wires. rule of thumb is 1ft. clearance. AND, you need to consider where you will be powering up those camera's? as distance increases the voltage will drop accordingly which may cause problem. AC holds up the best, DC drops quick.

Like VST said, use 24VAC if you are running the power over UTP also. Id suggest UTP multipair, being that you can run a multi pair UTP cable and add more cameras later on. You get less distance with UTP is all. Using NVT Active Hubs and TXs you get approx 1.5 miles with active on both ends using Cat5, 1 Mile with UTP with active on both ends, or 3000' using Active then Passive on each end.

http://www.nvt.com/products/NV_1662R.html

The Hubs have Ground Lifting, Equalising, and Transient Protection built in. Protects againt Ground Loops and Interference.

Only going by specs, but I have seen them in action and they were very crisp with PTZ cameras at very long distances. Im specing a 30 camera job now using their products. Simple thing is, you can add more cameras later once you run a multi pair cable.

Ive used a couple passive OEM baluns and they were a waste of time . ..

Rory