ncohen

Help deciding what system to go for

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade the cctv cameras i currently have at home and am having trouble deciding what unit to go for.

Current system:

Standalone DVR (no web connection)

6 external cameras (4-5 years old atleast)

3 in front of house, 1 facing house, 1 on each side of house looking at the drive

3 at back of house, 1 at end of the garden facing the back of the house, 1 on each side of the house onto garden

Looking into:

IP megapixel cameras and nvr (network video recorder)

or

upgrade normal cameras and dvr

if i go IP based route i will need to run new cables to all the camera locations (not so much hasstle)

but...I dont know what cameras or dvr to go for...

The cheapest i have come across is:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

and nvr will be a pc..so about £300-400 worth of pc

i have been told that currently the cameras will not be 100% real time due to encoding etc and will be a little laggy...

anyone know more about that??

if i go standard dvr route i have been told this is a good setup:

but the quality will be no where near that of a megapixel camera

will be about 0.4mp comapred to the 1~mp of the shown ip camera

Sure i could go down the cheap route and get an ebay dvr for £350 or so and £100 cameras but research has lead to show that they are rather bad quality and likely to break down.

So...anyone here have experience in this field? anything they can recommend?

Thanks!!

and nvr will be a pc..so about £300-400 worth of pc

Don't forget the cost of the NVR software itself. There are some free options out there, but they're pretty limited.

i have been told that currently the cameras will not be 100% real time due to encoding etc and will be a little laggy...

anyone know more about that??

FUD. Yes, it's true, if you look at an analog camera on a regular monitor, movements in front of the camera will be seen immediately, while with an IP camera, there will be a slight delay between the movement and when you see it, due to the fact that the camera is digitizing and compressing the video before sending it out.

However, since most of the time you'll be looking at recorded video of an event minutes, hours or even days after that event happened, does a few hundred milliseconds' delay REALLY matter? 99.9% of the time, the answer is no.

hi thanks for the reply!

i think im gonna go for the ip cameras

but when i meant slow i meant like when you watch someone walk across the screen it seems jumpy as if low FPS rate...how would it be when running at full resolution?

and regarding it being a second late isnt a problem...its only a second

so proposed system:

6 x http://www.use-ip.co.uk/vivotek-ip8332-network-bullet-camera.html

1 x http://www.use-ip.co.uk/qnap-viostor-vs-2012-network-video-recorder.html

1 x http://www.use-ip.co.uk/planet-gsd-802ps-8-port-10-100-1000mbps-with-2-shared-sfp-web-smart-poe-switch.html

200m of cat 5 (was told no reasont to go for cat 6)

all cameras to be mounted outside and hopefully running at fell res and as high as possible FPS

anyone have any opinions on this proposal?

Many Thanks!!

but when i meant slow i meant like when you watch someone walk across the screen it seems jumpy as if low FPS rate...how would it be when running at full resolution?

Depends on the cameras. Some will do full 30fps at 2-3MP; others max out at 15fps at 1.3MP, or even lower. In most cases, it's a moot point - most people won't even notice the difference between 30fps and 15fps, and even 7-10fps gives fairly smooth motion for anything but fast-moving objects.

all cameras to be mounted outside and hopefully running at fell res and as high as possible FPS

anyone have any opinions on this proposal?

Yes: check out this demo: http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html ...and don't get too hung up on fps numbers. As noted above, the difference between 15 and 30 will barely be noticeable in most cases, and 15fps will use approximately have the space of 30. 7.5fps will use half again the space, and again, will still look smooth in most instances.

wow thanks for that!

seems like as long as i get 15fps it should be fine..7.5 wasn't far off acceptable for me too!

so any opinions on the camera or recorder themselves? looking to place an order very soon!

thanks!!